• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shudy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about my smoothbore I have. It is a Jack Garner 42 in oct/rd brass mounted smoothbore. It has the same style buttplate (has octagon flats on top) that is on my TVM Virginian rifle. The triggerguard has an acorn finial with a single trigger. The gun has a siler lock and the stock is much slimmer than my TVM virginian. What is the appropriate time frame on this gun? What does everyone think about his guns? Thanks,

Shudy

Have you actually removed the barrel from the stock to look for a name written on the bottom flat? If so, what does it say, if anything?

Acorn finial trigger guards weren't used untill after 1765 in england, slightly later in the Colonies. The Siler lock style dates to the 1770's and after.
From what I've seen of Garners guns is the quality can range from very low to fairly high.

Shudy said:
I have a couple of questions about my smoothbore I have. It is a Jack Garner 42 in oct/rd brass mounted smoothbore. It has the same style buttplate (has octagon flats on top) that is on my TVM Virginian rifle. The triggerguard has an acorn finial with a single trigger. The gun has a siler lock and the stock is much slimmer than my TVM virginian. What is the appropriate time frame on this gun? What does everyone think about his guns? Thanks,

Shudy

I have one from Jack that is iron mounted, with a rear sight . Nice wood, excellent fit and finish, and the best let off of any single trigger gun I have. Good shooter, too.

Duane

Thanks to all who gave their advice. I now know I need to do more research in order to get an earlier gun. I will post some pics if some would like to see the gun.

Shudy

Why do you want an earlier gun? Are you going to do some reinacting? If not I'd just be happy you've got a good, hand built smoothbore to shoot. It took me years to finally afford the money to buy something Nice. I really, really do think you'll be happier with that 20ga rather then the 11ga. It'll do anything that the 11ga will do and be lighter and feels better pointing then the larger bore gun. Shoot it a spell and then let us know what ya' think. :hmm:

Tn Frank,

I want an earlier gun because I like to looks of them better. I do not reenact at least as of yet. This has been a slow process for me but I am trying to get some gear together so that I can trek or reenact in a correct manner and timeframe. I just like earlier guns and you can have an earlier gun in a later time period. I will shoot it and will probably love it. I will keep you informed.

Shudy

Go early on your gun if in doubt. You can use earlier stuff in later periods, but not later stuff in earlier periods. Besides, I agree with you that the early stuff just has more class.

Don't be afraid of large bores, they are just as light, if not lighter, if built corretly. And, if you're a bird hunter and shoot mostly shot, the big bores are the way to go.

I know my Cumberland Fowler in 11ga was about a lb. or more heavier then my Jackie Brown with the same length barrel in 20ga. Of course, with the larger bores you'd want the extra weight to keep recoil down.

Latest posts

Back