• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to BlackPowder revolvers- question on cylinder/bore 'fitting'.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bczrx

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an 1864-production year Remington 1858 New Model Army. Using a light I can see a hint of the edge of the chamber wall on the side of the barrel when I look down the muzzle.

I plan on fitting a new cylinder stop to align it properly.

However, I need some advice on how I should fit it.

I have fit stops on Ruger [SA and DA/SA], S&W DA/SA and Colt DA/SA revolvers.

I know that the design theory behind the Ruger DA/SA and S&W DA/SA revolvers was that a hint of side-to-side motion of the cylinder was allowed as this allowed the bullet to 'align itself' in the chamber of the barrel.

Colt on the other hand wanted a 'bank vault lock-up', where there is no motion allowed- rotational or fore/aft.

When I go to fit the stop to the original Remington New Model Army, should I set the cylinder stop/bolt so that it allows NO rotational motion when the cylinder is stopped//locked in place?

Or should I allow a hint of wiggle room to allow it to self-center, a la Ruger and S&W?

I don't want to destroy the barrel [or any other part of this 160 year old revolver], so I figured I'd ask the collective first.

Thank you for any insights you can share.

Latest posts

Back