• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to BP Shotgunning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkburns

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello all, I am Wade, from ND. I recently purchased an old unmarked SxS which is in good shape, including the bores. I have been reading all of the threads on this forum preparing to get started in shooting the gun. I have shot muzzeloaders for several years, but they have all been rifles. This will be my first intro into shotguns. My question is, what is a good way to loosen the old nipples. They are corrodid in pretty good and I need to remove them.

Below are a few pictures of my gun.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

It is a gun of an unknown maker. The only marks are the proofing marks stamped on the barrels.

IMG_0558.jpg

The markings I can make out are 17.2, The belgian proofing symbol, and the right barrel has 4 file marks while the left has three marks. Does this corrispond to the modern version of Cyl in right barrel and Mod in the left? There is also an L, and what looks like a small L with a star over it. I believe the gun to be a 12ga. I have to have someone measure the bores for me.

Thanks for any help or advise.

Nice gun :thumbsup:

I reason the 17.2 is it's metric measurement of the bores, it could be 16 gauge !! 12 is around the 18.3mm zone.

The four and three chisel/file marks could indicate some choke, it would be easy to ascertain
with a simple tapered plug and check for any differing amount of penertration into the muzzles :thumbsup:

Brits.

Thanks guys. I am still trying to figure out how to remove the rusted nipples. Any thoughts?

There is a product out called " Evaporust" that has received positive comments here. Look it up on your computer( Evaporust.com) and see if you can find it available locally.

Penetrating oils, like Kroil, Liquid Wrench, Break Free, and others have been used to attack rusted nipples, and screws, with some success.

I think this Evaporust sounds like its much more useful. It removes the rust without harming the finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice gun :thumbsup: Have you tried soaking the nipples in diesel. My musket had the same problem

Latest posts

Back