• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to ML questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cvcman

32 Cal
Reaction score
New to ML but not to hunting or firearms
Want to buy a ML to use for 1 week ea season.
I have shoulder issues so I’m looking for as light as I can recoil .
I like the CVA Wolf scope pkg for sale on Muzzleloaders dot com
Here are my questions and thank you for the help.

1) would I be better off with a 45 or 50 cal
2) if 50, would less recoil be with a 45 cal sabotted bullet vs a 50 power band ?
3) i like the ease of pellets , would 2 of 777 be sufficient for deer ?
4) would any 209 primer be good ?
5) what sabboted bullet would be best in the above gun
6) when sighting in scope should I swab with wet patch every shot ?
Thank you again

All the questions you have are for "modern" muzzleloaders & we are not allowed to discuss anything you asked about. Your questions are better asked on our sister site "Modern Muzzleloader Forum". This site is restricted to "Traditional" muzzleloaders. No in-lines, no 209 primers, no pellets, no saboted bullets, no scopes, etc. It's all explained in the forum rules on the home page.

New to ML but not to hunting or firearms
Want to buy a ML to use for 1 week ea season.
I have shoulder issues so I’m looking for as light as I can recoil .
I like the CVA Wolf scope pkg for sale on Muzzleloaders dot com
Here are my questions and thank you for the help.

1) would I be better off with a 45 or 50 cal
2) if 50, would less recoil be with a 45 cal sabotted bullet vs a 50 power band ?
3) i like the ease of pellets , would 2 of 777 be sufficient for deer ?
4) would any 209 primer be good ?
5) what sabboted bullet would be best in the above gun
6) when sighting in scope should I swab with wet patch every shot ?
Thank you again

See forum rules.

Get yourself a traditional 50 cal ML and come back here with real black and some PRBs. We'll get you on paper and then check out the hunting forum here.

I'd get a 50 cal as every load is a handload and you can adjust powder accordingly for your shoulder, and accuracy.

A PRB is not going to kick as hard as something that takes plastic suppositories and pellets, but it will kill deer just as dead.

Not sure where you are? I'm in forested land, just a few fields/open land, most deer I've shot have been inside 50 yds and very few > 100 yds. Traditional open sights work fine for that. If the eyes are getting old or might be longish shots look at a peep sight ( Lyman SML 57 are great), open aperture if hunting dusk/dawn.

Back