• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to ML, What do I need?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My most valuable tool is a range Rod with a "T" handle for pulling a dry ball.
It is easier to stand on the T handle and pull the rifle than to try to grab a ramrod with your hands and pull the ball. Sooner or later you will forget powder, and your buddies will :rotf: .
Better yet always put powder in first!! :redface:

get in touch with your local club . many have monthly shoots . join and start going to find out what you really need to shoot your gun well . ive been shooting for just a few years but shoot pretty well now and couldnt even think of a better source of reliable knowledge that the old guys that have 20 , 30 , sometimes 40 yrs of experience . youll get advice for exactly what your shooting , look at their gear and note what they >dont< have . you wont need that stuff either . lots of what youll need can be made for next to nothing and those guys will tell you how to do it . best source of info ive ever found is old dudes ( old meaning older than me , so their getting harder and harder to find )

The barrel does not have to be removed and if one tried cold or ytempid water one will likly not see any use for hot water just more difficult to work with plugging the vent'niple and letting a bit of wateer soak for a while the usew damp patches till clean then oil after dry is about the fastes way, there are lots of modrn dodads made for helping clean a barrel many find them not really much of an advantgae in speed or performance though some claims would suggest such, I do not know how many remove brech plug to check how clean the bore is, and that would tell a lot, more how complete a job has been domne than the method/gizmos used. as I said before try a lot of the things mentioned and decide for your self but I would not go out and buy a lot of "stuff" that may not really do that much good except to the vendor who now has your money that could have went toward ball moulds and accesories that have been in use for a couple of hundred years or more and were really needed in the past according to all records that exist, this is a pretty simple hobby if one allows it to be.

Everyone else has given many ideas on the various shooting accessories you may need, so no need for me to give another list.

One thing you may want to do is go onto You Tube and search for muzzleloader shooting. There's some decent, well-done videos describing the shooting of traditional muzzleloaders (of course you have to sort through all the garbage to find that golden nugget). In addition, CVA has a video called "Successful Muzzleloading" that covers shooting Flintlock, Caplock, and those other kind we don't discuss here. Roger Raglin has a hunting video called "Black Powder Magic" that has a very good segment on working up a load with a caplock and has a lot of hunting in it. You can find that video by searching for Roger Raglin on the web. I'm sure there are many others, but these are ones I've seen.

Since I had absolutely no one I knew that did muzzleloading (much less traditional muzzleloading) I also purchased a couple of books and thoroughly read them before I even bought my first gun. I found Sam Fadala's "The Complete Blackpowder Handbook" an excellent reference.

Unfortunately I don't think this site existed then. This is certainly an excellent place to get help as well, as you've already found! Sometimes, though, seeing is a good way to get a better feel for what may be needed and how it is used.

To everyone, thanks for all the great advise. And, you were right...it has as many extras as golf. I have a few packages on the way with all the accessories I will need to shoot my new rifle. I am in the process of working the stock now sanding it to fit the parts, I'm loving it. I'll post a pic once I am done with it.

Spikebuck said:
Since I had absolutely no one I knew that did muzzleloading (much less traditional muzzleloading) I also purchased a couple of books and thoroughly read them before I even bought my first gun. I found Sam Fadala's "The Complete Blackpowder Handbook" an excellent reference.
Like you. I am the first in my group to "get back to the roots" of shooting. So it looks like I have some more homework to do between sanding and polishing.

Back