• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Smoothbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo15563

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering a .62 smoothbore for my underhammer and would like to hunt turkey with it in PA. The shot size is limited to #4 lead and smaller. Is it possible to work up an effective load in this cal?

My turkey experience thus far has been with a Browning flattop 12 with 2 3/4 high-brass #4's.

Jimbo

Sure is possible, a .62 caliber is equilivant to a 20 guage...

Loads can range between 7/8 ounce to 1 1/8 ounce with any size shot (as long as the weight is the same)...

1 1/8 ounce load

2 1/2 drams powder (68 grains FFg) to 3 drams powder (82 grains FFg)

1 heavy over shot card

1 fiber wad (1/2 inch thick) can be lubed

1 1/8 ounce of shot (any size)

1 thin over-shot card

I'm still in the early stages, but I'm getting good patterns with 90gr. FFg and 1 1/2oz. #6 in my 20ga. fusil, even without using a shot cup. In my gun, this load looks like an effective turkey killer to about 25 yards, which is a reasonable maximim to expect from a straight tube.

Jimbo,
we have the same limits on shot in Tennessee. i use a 1842 Springfield smoothbore and take my limit early in the season. I use 100 g of Goex ffg and 1 1/2 oz of #4 shot. More shot can be added but you will have more lead in the bird. Good luck with the gobblers.

Latest posts

Back