• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeykoder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking for a deer rifle for a little while and I decided if I'm going to buy a rifle it should be actually you know FUN to shoot (throwing tons of lead down range isn't my idea of fun I like substance more than anything.) So I'm currently looking for a muzzle loader. I'm thinking something in the range of a flintlock poor boy type rifle.

Basically I want to spend as little as possible without getting something I'm going to want to replace.

Howdy and welcome to the forum, hope you find what your looking for, should be able to find lots of help here. jake

monkeykoder said:
Basically I want to spend as little as possible without getting something I'm going to want to replace.

Don't we all! And you may get lucky. I never have, though. Do you have a figure in mind? A nice used semi-custom or custom going for "as little as possible" will run you a lot more than a production gun in the same category--"as little as possible". But the former will be a unique gun with higher quality parts and finer fit and finish. It will be a gun that gains in value as the years pass, both monetarily and as a family heirloom.

There is no true production poor boy available to my knowledge. I think Tom Stroh, to cite one example, could build you a nice one for a fair price. He's here on the forum so you could PM him.

What do you plan to do with the rifle besides hunting? Target work, re-enacting, trekking etc? A full stock poor boy is actually a pretty versatile gun. I think it makes a fine choice for a first flintlock. And welcome to the Forum!

To list the impossible figure I'd like to be under $500 (rifle only) and I'm often quite handy with tools so a kit is possible if I can find a reliable place to order a decent one from.

Stick with Cabela's. :wink:

$500 will buy you a barrel, lock, stock blank, buttplate, and triggerguard.

You could probably get one of the "northwest trade gun" kits for about $500...

If the budget needs to be stretched it might be possible but the poor boy seems to be the style I like. The site I saw the poor boys on had them listed under that price point but you never know about a stores reliability or quality until you ask.

I know Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders sells a poor boy kit for about $450 or so. I've never dealt with them so I have no idea about their quality. Somebody here must have built one of their kits though. It certainly won't be a Chambers set of parts but it might not be too bad.

Anybody out there built a sitting fox kit?

I don't understand the term "poor boy" but I recently bought a Lyman Deerstalker, in .54 flintlock, and love the rifle. I believe they are under $500 in the US.

I bought a Lyman Trade rifle in .54 flintlock a few weeks later, because I was so impressed with the Deerstalker, and they are $500 Canadian here so they are probably about $400 US.

I think you will really like muzzle loaders.

A quality poor boy kit may likely cost slightly more than $500 but it's worth saving for. Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (TVM) makes a relatively easily assembled kit that's top quality. I can't believe there are not others who can supply such a kit, as well. When you specify a "poor boy" it may be very slightly less than some other styles. I like them.

Monk, if you live in the Midwest the NMLRA Spring shoot is coming up. There will several thousand muzzleloader shooters there and there will be a lot of guns for sale. There are always some good used guns available on blankets or sitting in a camp. Those guns normally go at a more reasonable price. Hang on to your money, come to Friendship and look around.

Many Klatch

stickwalker said:
I just finished the early penn kit Quite happy with it.....Stckwalker

You got yours from Sitting Fox? How was the experience (building and ordering)?

Sadly I'm out in the West West... California to be precise.

Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply

Track of the Wolf

Both get you going for about $550

Early Rustic Arms has a lot of kits under $600, I have not heard anything bad about their guns, I would not care for an oct to round with no taper in the oct section but that would not be an issue with a Poh Boy

Welcome to the forum. :)

Based on your maximum price I would suggest that for now you stick with a factory made gun. Preferably one like a Cabala's or Lyman or a used TC.

I know you want something that you won't want to replace but if you stick to one of the rifles I mentioned they will hold their resale value pretty well. That will allow you to save for one of the higher priced guns while you learn about muzzleloading with the lower cost guns.
Then when you decide to move up you will be able to sell your first gun to help pay for the new one.

You didn't say where your from so I need to point out something.
A Flintlock gun needs to have real black powder to prime the pan and to load the main charge.

In some areas of the country finding real black powder is darn near impossible.
Because of this, I recommend that you first call around to the various gun stores in your area and ask them if they carry real black powder.
If they do, your in business. If they don't your only option will be to mail order it.
Black powder has a Haz Mat charge that can run over $20 per shipment in addition to the price of the powder so that makes for some high priced shooting.

A Percussion lock gun which uses a copper percussion cap to fire the powder will work with the synthetic powders as well as black powder. Just something to think about.

As you mentioned deer hunting, your caliber choice should be aimed at a .45 or larger bore. The .50 and .54 are more than enough for deer and the .50 is probably the easiest to find ammunition for.

If you like the idea of building your own, that's another option but remember, the "kits" from Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica River, Muzzleloads' Builders Supply,TVM and others are not "fall together" kits. They are a box of semi finished parts and can easily take a builder over 150 hours to assemble and finish.
The Kits from TC, Lyman and Traditions are basically factory built production guns left unfinished and can be built in 20-40 hours, depending on your experience and any modifications you might want to make before applying the final finish.
If your interested in this please look over our "Gun Builders Bench" section. It was designed to help new builders finish their projects and no question is too dumb to ask. :thumbsup:

Yeah I was looking at the first tutorial I saw looks like tons of fun. A great opportunity for a 3 generation project.

A Percussion lock gun which uses a copper percussion cap to fire the powder will work with the synthetic powders as well as black powder. Just something to think about.

Not the ultimate solution, either. Dick's and Gander Mt. have stopped carrying percussion caps locally (or reloading equipment & components for centerfires!). To order from Midsouth and other catalog dealers they often require an order of 5,000 percussion caps (for $275 or $300 with the Haz Mat fee). I'm sweating this one.

I had to go to PA recently to find cartridge primers and smokeless powder for reloading my .223 REM. New York has something underhanded going on to discourage reloading, I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back