• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New toy Sharon Hawkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntnut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was out at the pawn shops today and I came across a muzzeloader. It looks like a Lyman GPR but it is marked

Sharon Barrel Company
H.L. Kinch
.58cal 1-71 7-79

So my guess it is a Sharon copy of the Hawkin, made by or for HL Kinch in July of 1979 with a 58 cal 1 in 71 twist.
This gun is spotless, the is no sign of rust the barrel is super clean with no pitting, with a nice brown finsh the stock has a couple beauty marks. The rear trigger has to be set before the hammer can be cocked.

If anyone can give me any info on this gun it would be great. I have to order some 58 balls in, no one around here carries anything bigger then 54's

Hall Sharon made gun barrels and authentic Hawken half-stock and full-stock kits in that time frame. They looked like real Hawkens though, not like the Lyman GPR. The GPR is an attempt to look a bit like a Hawken without going to the trouble and expense of getting the details right. Good guns but they are generic plains rifles, not Hawkens.

The Sharon kits were sometimes built by skilled gunmakers and very often by owners, so quality of workmanship can vary widely. The components were of good quality though. A good Sharon Hawken is a fine rifle will last a lifetime with proper care.

Sharon Barrel Company is well known for its very high quality barrels.

If the price is right for you I strongly suggest that you buy it.
If you don't like it you shouldn't have any problem getting rid of it in our Classified Ads section.
:thumbsup:

It came home with me for a desent price. How can I tell if it was a kit gun or just a drap in barrel? There are no markings on the stock or any of the works. I ssaid it looked kind of like a GPR but the stock and the works are way better quality then the GPR that I had in the past.

If you can post pictures of it here we can probably tell you what it is. If not we still get to look at the pictures so it's sort of a win-win situation--for us anyway. :rotf:

Congrats on the new rifle. Sharon kits were high buck back in the early to mid eighties. They were held as one of the best Hawken copies at the time.

My first rifle build, about that time, was a Lancaster build around a 42" .36 Sharon barrel. It still shoots better than I can.

By all means post pictures. My monitor needs a little drool now and again to work properly.

Huntnut said:
It came home with me for a desent price. How can I tell if it was a kit gun or just a drap in barrel? There are no markings on the stock or any of the works. I ssaid it looked kind of like a GPR but the stock and the works are way better quality then the GPR that I had in the past.

Its likely a Sharon Kit or a custom built on a Sharon barrel. I had a kit I put together back about 1976 it shot OK.

Its worth double what a factory made is worth.
If its a good custom maybe more.
Dan

In 1980, I was fortunate to get one of the last Sharon .54 barrels that came with the Sharon company inventory and production machinery, after they closed shop in Montana, and all was moved and re-setup on the West Side of Colorado Springs. Our ML group, Colorado Springs MLers was given an evening tour of the operation, and, at the end, our guide mentioned that a 55 gal barrel of unfinished rifled barrels had come with the inventory to Colo Sprgs. He offered any barrel for $25, and for an extra $10, he'd seat a breech plug, as well. Needless to say, several of us quickly took him up on his offer. I built a full stock percussion Late Hawken around that barrel, that shoots plumb center, better than these old eyes can hold it!! A great find you've made - lets see some pics --

Here is a couple pics. I found some .570 round balls today, so I'll head out and shoot her this evening and let you guys know how she shoots.

zoo139.jpg
zoo141.jpg

zoo142.jpg
zoo137.jpg

Well it shoots LOL. Just came in from shooting about 10 rounds and out to 100 yrds I can get it to shoot around a 3" off hand but its 16" low so I have to work that out. Just shooting .570 RB, CCI #11, Goex FFFG & .018 patch

Call any supplier, and they will know the correct nipple size for the factory replacement nipple. You do need to check it- go to your local hardware store with the existing nipple to use their thread gauges to tell you what you have-- and consult the Dixie Gun Works Catalogue, or Track of the Wolf's on-line catalogue to get your answers. Sometimes you will find a used gun that has an oversized nipple. Don't GUESS. Measure your nipple's thread size to be sure.

I used to take my nipples with me to Friendship, in my shirt pocket, so that I could be absolutely sure I was getting the correct thread size when I scrounged around the boxes at dealer's booth there.

I have American thread gauges, but don't yet have the metric gauges- I go to the Ace Hardware store here when I need such a measurement. The staff enjoys my visits, because I come with all kinds of things that are interesting, and they don't know a thing about! I always manage to buy something, and that keeps them happy.

Hard to be sure what you've got there. The wood looks like the same wood Lyman GPRs come with. The Sharon barrel makes it a keeper that's for sure.

16" low at 100 yards is a lot! What powder charge are you using? That .570 ball weighs about 280 grains and even with 110 grains of powder behind it isn't going much more than 1400 f.p.s. So the trajectory isn't going to be very flat with lighter loads. Before you mess around with the sights you might want to try some different loads and see what she was zeroed for by her last owner.

Huntnut said:
Here is a couple pics. I found some .570 round balls today, so I'll head out and shoot her this evening and let you guys know how she shoots.

zoo139.jpg
zoo141.jpg

zoo142.jpg
zoo137.jpg

Looks like a rifle built around a Sharon barrel. Could be stocked from a blank.

Dan

Huntnut said:
Well it shoots LOL. Just came in from shooting about 10 rounds and out to 100 yrds I can get it to shoot around a 3" off hand but its 16" low so I have to work that out. Just shooting .570 RB, CCI #11, Goex FFFG & .018 patch

If you get a load that shoots good just file the sights to zero.
The person that owned it may not have shot it much or may have used a different sight picture.

Dan

I'm shooting 90gr of powder. I'm betting The last owner just shot it with a diffrent shight picture then me.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back