• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Traditions barrel question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well there I was minding my own business on Ebay when something caught my eye. Hmmm a brand new Traditions 32" .50 cal, 1:66" twist barrel. Bunch of dovetails cut top and bottom.

I just had to throught my 2 cents in or in this case $36.00 plus $10.00 shipping. I won?! OK heres a question I should have asked before buying it.

Anyone know what the size of the barrel is on a Traditions? :rotf:

A 32" barrel with lots of dovetails?
From this I would think it would be from either a Kentucky or a Shennandoah and should have two dovetails on the top flat for the sights and two or three on the bottom flat for the tennions. The barrel will measure 7/8 across flats.
$46.00 is a very good price and as a project rifle there are a wide variety of styles you could make from this, even halfstocks.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Ringed is what happens when a charge is fired and there is a gap between the powder and the bullet. The air space in between the two expands causing a slight bulge or ring in the barrel. Anyway that's the way I understand it. :)

Zonie said:
Here's hoping that there isn't a bunch of rust in the bore and it hasn't been "ringed". :hmm:

Well here is how it was described.

New barrel from older Traditions rifle/ new barrel in storage 5-10 years, .50 32" 1/66 twist percussion barrel shipping $10.00

He's got a three day money back offer too. I'm crossing my fingers. Was the older Traditions barrels different in size and quality?

gmww said:
Ringed is what happens when a charge is fired and there is a gap between the powder and the bullet. The air space in between the two expands causing a slight bulge or ring in the barrel. Anyway that's the way I understand it. :)

Correct, this usually happens from firing a rifle with the ball just "short started" and not fully seated on the charge. The ring (or bulge) may not be noticeable from the outside and can only be detected by running a snug patch down the barrel and feeling for loose spots.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Ah gotcha. now I get to wonder about the inconsistencies of the tightness of a patch, from muzzle to breech in my gun.... :( :confused: :hmm:

it gets loose then tight then loose... It might have something to do with the consistency of pressure I apply to the ro though(hopeful)

Gary

Back