• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Underhammer build by 11 year old

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woke up hurting like HE .. and the kids have given up on keeping me stil and the key board was on my bed.......Sooooo first time I've seen this since I got out, ya got to be really proud Glenn, VERY even. Heck mine wants a 50 BMG, 5 bucks a shot and 2 mile back stop now thats a everyday gun he can use. :shake: (maybe I should get him one of those build it your self ones :rotf: that will end that.)Fred :hatsoff: Ya done great think I can get back to sleep now thanks.

FW, I use to work for a shop that did 50 BMG single shots. At the time we were making solid brass bullets that were 615 grain and we could send them down range at 3400 fps. They are cheaper to shoot than the 577 NE at $34.50 per.
Good to hear your still with us.

Thanks John , if ya call just laying here flat 24 hours a day :back" :rotf: I was thinking if he got to shoot one of those ss lite weights it would be the end of that.(as well as his arm for a few days,he's 143 lbs. :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

Well done sir! hats off to you & Emma tha Queen! :hatsoff:

Davy

Just an update. We've started load development in earnest. I've dropped the idea of .45 and we've been building up her recoil tolerance in .50 PRB. Several days ago we started at 40 grns. of 3F. Today we finished up with 60 grns. of 3F. I was going to try 2F but forgot the can at home. She was able to keep a nice 4" group at 75 yards off the edge of the paper. We will sight it in properly once we've reach at least 70 grns.

Some action shots of Emma and her underhammer.

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0004.jpg

By the way. If any of you are considering getting a youngster shooting I highly recommend the Browning shoulder recoil pad insert. It has a special gel that they claim absorbs 49% of the felt recoil. Emma said it really worked well.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I got busy with life, took some time off the net and missed this thread. What a wonderful story. Seeing the finished gun and her enjoying shooting it really makes it great! :hatsoff: For being a great dad and a big :thumbsup: to the little lady for a great job.

Fantastic!! Emma I'm sure your Dad is very proud, as are we.
The very best to,
Dusty

Congats Emma! Nice rifle. Can we see some pics of the entire rifle? (And of course the hunt's rewards!) Great project. Thank you both for sharing :)!

PB200099.jpg

Sorry I thought I had already posted this. I guess I forgot.

Happy Fathers Day, you are a very lucky guy.
Great story too of your daughter building her underhammer rifle.
God bless.

Hey guys thanks for the nice comments and Happy Father's day to all of you too!

Where did you get the Underhammer action from? I have always wanted to build one. A friend of mine had an H&A I believe but the rifling was rough.

Swede50 said:
Where did you get the Underhammer action from? I have always wanted to build one. A friend of mine had an H&A I believe but the rifling was rough.

Deer Creek Products 765-525-6181.
Give them a call. :thumbsup:

Good to see that someone has the time to get to the range. Nice looking rifle, next project is a club for your daughter to beat the boys off ( and a SXS shotgun for the old man).

hats off to the young lady! looks like fun for both daughter and dad. 1 out of 3 of my kids shoot with me and i do enjoy the company. looks like a good start to a life long hobby. :hatsoff:

Well all the big day is coming. We are leaving in the morning to Eastern Wa. I wanted to get there a day early to show Emma the area and set up a blind. I'm bringing a camcorder and digital camera. The property owner says there are a lot of meat does around.

I have her on a .50 round ball barrel. She's shooting it with 70 grns. of pyrodex RS. I didn't want the substitute stuff but it grouped well and black powder is getting very hard to find lately. We've been to the range a lot and I've been having her dry fire daily using a shooting stick. I'm crossing my fingers!

What a pleasure it is to see a young person become so useful and create something that is above the ability of many adults. You are doing well.

One of the things that depresses me where I work is seeing many young men in their late teens who are pretty much useless. They have few practical skills and seem to be very dependent on others. No sense of independence for many. I am not saying that all of them are incompetents but many have been nurtured through the state in one way, shape or form. Thus you end up with a person who cannot fend for themselves.

Keep up the good work.

Back