• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Underhammer build by 11 year old

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50cal.cliff said:
Congrats to you and your daughter. There is never more well spent time than the time you spend with your children.
Nothing will bond the two of you together anymore, and enable you to get thru the hard times of life!
Wise words. :thumbsup:

IMG_1329.jpg

Here is the results of Emma's Dremil experience. I did the trigger and she did the hammer.

Next Emma used LMF browning solution on the action, hammer, trigger, screws. After 5 coats and two over night rustings they were done. This morning we fired up the stove and she boiled a pot of distilled water. The parts were submersed and sat for approximately 20 mins. until they became nice and black.

PA220068.jpg

We had two spots where the rust did not take too well. I believe there was some cutting oil left in the tapped holes. It doesn't look too bad. She is with her 3 year old sister and future ML bearer/hunter.

Tell Simply Emma that I got a 50 cal barrel that needs testing. It's all set up for a UH.
More than a few years ago I let my daughter shoot a 54 UH at a rendezvous, she was 12 at the time and the only thing she ever shot before was a BB gun. With a little coaching and light loads she took second place among the young shooters.
Your brass frame is started.

Hey John, I might bring her down the next time. We'll be needing some of your services. Is it a RB twist and how long a barrel?

Congrats to both of you, an awesome experience and tale. Even better that you're documenting it with photos, she'll treasure that part of it for the rest of her life. :thumbsup:

Barrel is 27 & 3/4" long with RB twist. Someone tried to use it for a 50-70 and it would not shoot do to the slow twist. Appears to be a Numrich barrel but I don't now for sure. Rifling looks great but the outside could use some improvement. No thimbles or forearm.

Great looking young ladies! Congrats to her interest and abilities in rifle building :thumbsup:

Brownell's has a preperation called 'steel white'. It will prep and/or strip your metal before brown/bluing. Buy a couple pairs of cheap white cotton at somewhere like Lowe's to handle any preped steel with to avoid fouling the finish. If it were me and I was not totally pleased I would redo it with Steel White. Quick and easy, and relatively safe to work with.

Best to all, Idahjo

I agree. I'm having to deal with an 11 year old's wish to get it done ASAP. I figure this will be yet another lesson I try to incorporate about life. This lesson I'll call take it, "Do it right and don't settle for the easy way out." :thumbsup:

So the frame has now been degrease and is ready to be rusted again. :wink:

OK the lesson in lets do this right and do it over if necessary is done for the action. It was degrease and submitted to more LMF solution. After three coats we boiled it again in distilled water. It came out much better. We didn't coat the whole action again but rather the areas that needed it. Here is the result.

PA230071.jpg

By gummie! Ain't that weerd how jus plunkin an ol rusti part inter sum boilling watar turrns it blak lik that!"

Aftar ye oil it it mite tak on a bit of a bluu colar butt it wil bee mannly blak.
zonie :)

An Update. Bubba45 out of the goodness of his big heart sent my daughter Myrtle wood for her project shortly after I started this post. Imagine my surprise when a total stranger offered such a wonderful gift. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Sorry if this embarrasses you Bubba45 but it needs to be said. You are the kind of person that we need more of in the world. A big thank you from a proud father who is trying to raise children to honor our past.

So with the Myrtle wood, we visited John Taylor. I'm lacking a band saw so he helped us out with cutting the butt plate section and barrel channel. We chose the .45 RB barrel for this channel. I have a spare .50 RB which she will use later when we start getting into serious heavy .50 shooting.

I gave Emma a sure form and a lot of sand paper. She went to town on the forend stock while I took a lot of wood off the rear stock. I did the rough shaping and left enough for her to sand down and finish. It took about a week but she got it done. John sold me a brass butt plate that was nice and wide. The stock will be used for both rifle and shotgun barrels.

After Emma was happy with the shape and sanding, it was time for her to stain the wood. She chose LMF Cherry stain. She liked her daddy's Cherry Stained stocks and wanted one like mine. She stained it and let it dry over night she put on 11 coats of Tru-oil. That took another couple of days for all the coats.

PB180092.jpg

It does my heart good to see youngsters undertaking these types of projects . I remember when my kids were that age and were getting their hands dirty working on their squirrel rifles. :hatsoff: to you Dad for taking the time to show Emma the way !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You're a great dad gmww. It does this old heart good to see a young lass that would rather have tru-oil than nail polish on her fingernails!!! Keep us posted, I can't wait to see the smile on her face when the project the two of you started goes BOOM and the white smoke rises :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back