• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie has build from scratch questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp_thing

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, first let me say that this is my first post here at TMF and I look forward to being a fellow member. I have a question for all. I am in possession of a couple of 45 cal rifled octagonal barrel blanks and would like to build them up into pistols. These barrel blanks were from gunparts and are basically saw offs from longer rifle barrels. I believe they are about 13" length and of course open clear through so I would need to install a breach plug. Any suggestions on design ideas or where to start would be greatly appreciated. Although I have a bit of stockmaking and gunsmithing experience, this will be my first attempt at muzzleloading. Thanks for any assistance you can give me. swamp_thing

swamp_thing said:
Hello all, first let me say that this is my first post here at TMF and I look forward to being a fellow member. I have a question for all. I am in possession of a couple of 45 cal rifled octagonal barrel blanks and would like to build them up into pistols. These barrel blanks were from gunparts and are basically saw offs from longer rifle barrels. I believe they are about 13" length and of course open clear through so I would need to install a breach plug. Any suggestions on design ideas or where to start would be greatly appreciated. Although I have a bit of stockmaking and gunsmithing experience, this will be my first attempt at muzzleloading. Thanks for any assistance you can give me. swamp_thing

Howdy Swamp Thing

Welcome to the forum ... I am thinkin on the same thing and others have suggested these bits of info to me ... so I will share with you as well ... hope this helps .

A well experienced mentor of course is the best solution I am thinkin, but mebee these will start someone in the right direction looking for answers! :hmm:
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...atId=4&subId=24&styleId=70&partNum=BOOK-AFPPP[/url]
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...catId=4&subId=38&styleId=137&partNum=VHS-BMLP[/url]

Good luck !

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
swamp_thing said:

If these barrels are really cut offs from rifle barrels they may not make very good pistol barrels. Rifle barrels usualy have a 1 in 48" or slower rate of twist for rifling and pistol barrels usually require something like 1 in 22" rate of twist. You might be better off in the long run to just purchase a pistol barrel from a supplier.

I personally don't like making to many pistols because it seems like they take almost as much work to make as a rifle and are not worth as much when you get done with them. Of course the barrels and stock blanks are cheaper, but the lock and other parts will cost just about the same as on a rifle.

Harddog

The rate of twist is something that I did not take into consideration. I don't even remember at this point what it was. I picked the barrels up a couple of years ago for next to nothing and at the time I knew the rate of twist. Now I will have to check and see what it is. I appreciate the info and the heads up on this. I will check it out and let you know. swamp_thing

Although the rate of twist is much faster in a pistol barrel, I think that unless your tryig to build a target arm it might not matter too much.

Round balls don't take much to stabilize and even with a moderate twist, it has to be as accurate as a smooth bore with no twist.

I guess it all depends on what you want to end up with. :)

I do seem to remember that at the time I bought the barrels it stated something along the lines of 1 in 48 twist. As has been stated that is not optimal for pistol barrels, but I think I will continue on with using them for this project. I agree that they would have to be an improvement over a smooth bore. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions folks. swamp_thing

OK, I decided to dig the barrels out and do a bit of measuring to be sure what they were. They are 12.25 inches long, 15/16 across the flats, have what is obviously a 1 in 48 twist and measure .458 groove to groove and are 8 groove bores. I had actually picked up three of them, so I will try at least one for a pistol. Since it will in fact be my first attempt at building a muzzleloader from scratch I am more interested in the experience and knowledge gained than from acquiring the optimum accuracy. If anyone else has further ideas on this or can steer me onto designs please do so. Thanks folks. swamp_thing :)

Hey:
I got a flyer last summer when I bought some stuff from dixie's gun. There were some small locks in there for about $40.00. Probally imports,but would be suitable in size for a pistol. I don't know if they're still available. Buy some butt caps and make the other stuff and you could have a pair of dueling pistols in no time. Full paintball protection and duelling pistols loaded with foam wads at 20yds..Hmmm. :youcrazy:

Thanks for the lock info. I did go to their site and they have a lock listed for 49.00 that looks to be smaller and would work for a pistol. I appreciate the responces here, thanks folks. swamp_thing

Back