• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie Question: Which side of the patch do I grease?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extra care must be taken when using the striped pillow ticking. It is imperative that you lube the side with the predominant color (the outside). Bad juju may occur if you lube the inside.

If you have striped pillow ticking with one side of more color that the other side, you have material that has the stripe printed on the fabric and that printed fabric is inferior to the fabric with the woven stripes that have the same intensity of color on both sides.

Also, try different patch thicknesses. My Thompson Hawken flint likes a .495 ball and .015 patch. For many years I shot .54 with .530 ball and .020 patch.
Have not yet been able to shoot my .50 Deerstalker cap, but we will have to see what it likes
those precut and lubed patches only have a shelf life of about 18 months, they deteriorate in quality rather quickly

my advice is to prepare a small amount of patches or a strip of cloth you cut at the barrel and keep lube and patching cloth in your bag, or just use spit lube patches in the moment, they work very well it turns out

those precut and lubed patches only have a shelf life of about 18 months, they deteriorate in quality rather quickly

my advice is to prepare a small amount of prelubbed patches or a strip of cloth you cut at the barrel and keep lube and patching cloth in your bag, or just use spit lube patches in the moment, they work very well it turns out

Back