• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mileman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I was reading this for the wealth of information about blackpowder shooting, and I am especially interested in a smaller caliber (.32 or .36), but that will come when I get a job. I've just graduated from high school, and have been hunting ever since I was legal to do so. Most of the time in the regular season, I use a 7 Mauser, but I have a flinter .50 for taking advantage of the blackpowder season. Cleaning it is a pain, but shooting it is fun! I came from PA where at the time, flint was the only legal weapon, and I ended up with a Traditions Hunter. I did take a deer with it, but I sure wish it didn't have that plastic stock! I can't say I mind it on my .22, but the idea of it on a traditional style muzzleloader is ugh! Anyways, now that I've introduced myself, I can go back into hiding.

Hold on son,

No need to hide out - come on in and get acquainted! Good folks here with lots of advice and information. Sounds like you got a great start baggin' a deer with your flinter - can't say I've ever done that. Anyway, welcome and don't hesitate to post anything you think of - we don't bite :winking:

LEJ

Elmer Fudd,
i have to agree with LEJ. don't hide jump in and get your feet wet. some young blood is always welcome in
this forum.
I am snake-eyes

Welcome,

Always good to have young folks around. We need someone to chop the wood and haul the water. ::

Someday you'll reach back and talk about the times you're having now while everyone around you rolls their eyes and groans. :shake: Enjoy.

yes welcome to our camp.....has stumpy shown ya where the wood piles is at yet the fires dying down a bit ::.....first thing yas got to do is git yourself a nice wooden stock fur that flinter un wusa talkin bout :haha:.....yup these here guys will um treat in ya reals good ya know.....dunt be scard ta askin anythin ya neein to kows bout.....i'ma in pike co. pa in a thee northeast part.....wherea u frum..................................bob

Bob, Bob, Bob, ya bens aroun 'ol Zonie to much, cuz yer starting ta talk like him. Wha hapened ta thet nice Penn. accent ya used ta be havin'? :: :: Welcome to the fire EM. fire wood cuttin ain't all that bad, and haulin' a might of water is good fer ya. Builds character, not ta mention sum mussels ya might be a needin' ta haul them deers out a them woods. Always good ta hear of a nice young'un interested in this here sport. Don't be a hidin' be a speakin' and a askin'. Lots of good info here for old and young alike.

Anyways, now that I've introduced myself, I can go back into hiding.

No, don't be verry, verrrrry quiet. hahahahahahahaha... :haha: (someone had to say it)

Welcome Fudd, there is a avatar of Elmer Fudd in the "My Home" section under "Personal Information", click edit and scroll down to the avatar section and view the "Use a stock avatar", click change and the flip through them, it's towards the rear...

Looks like this:
370.jpg

Elmer Fudd:

What's up Doc? ::

Well, I was reading this for the wealth of information about blackpowder shooting, and I am especially interested in a smaller caliber (.32 or .36), but that will come when I get a job. I've just graduated from high school, and have been hunting ever since I was legal to do so. Most of the time in the regular season, I use a 7 Mauser, but I have a flinter .50 for taking advantage of the blackpowder season. Cleaning it is a pain, but shooting it is fun! I came from PA where at the time, flint was the only legal weapon, and I ended up with a Traditions Hunter. I did take a deer with it, but I sure wish it didn't have that plastic stock! I can't say I mind it on my .22, but the idea of it on a traditional style muzzleloader is ugh! Anyways, now that I've introduced myself, I can go back into hiding.

If you are in the area, Dixon's Muzzleloader Fair is July 23-25 about 10 miles west of Allentown. :) Hell, just a visit to Dixon's shop is something to behold! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you think a Flintlock is fun, you should try a Matchlock! ::

Thanks Musketman, I got it. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm wabbit hunting. Huhahahahhahahaha.
I've read some about musket and the big balls they throw, and I saw in a blackpowder catalog I think that somebody was making a .69 musket with three rifling grooves running down the barrel. Has anybody ever tried it? A round ball nearly three quarters inch in diameter and now with some spin would be (I think) neat to try on deer and some bigger stuff.

hey fudd....ol moosketman has a .75 bess.....musketman i was letting you have that one.. :blah:...you silly rabbit... :haha:...............................bob

I've read some about musket and the big balls they throw, and I saw in a blackpowder catalog I think that somebody was making a .69 musket with three rifling grooves running down the barrel.

I have a .69 caliber rifled musket made in 1838, rifled in 185?, prior to the Civil War...

I don't shoot her anymore, but she took a .678 round ball and a .020 patch... It also has two wide riflings (1:96 twist, thereabouts)

My Brown Bess shoots a .735 round ball, 535 grains of butt kicking lead... It would take roughly four .440 round balls to make the same weight of one .735 round ball... :winking:

Daryl, one of our Canadian members, hunts moose with a musket, talk about fun... :haha:

Please feel free to read some of the post in the smoothbore section, this is one of the many places the large bore shooter's play...

Ole Yosmite Sam un me gots the same problem!
Em dern wabbits are MAKIN FOOTIE PRINTS ALL OVER MA DESERT!

Iffen Mooskeetman lones ole Fudd 'at Bess Ah'm a bettin he could come out har to AriZonie an thin um out fer me.

What say ye Elmer? ::

Back