• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NIB Seneca .45 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I would do if I woke up this morning in your shoes.
Two Seneca's NIB would stay NIB. Apparently these guys don't get out much and see what reality is. I have seen a common price for a Seneca 36 cal. barrel go for $300+ and not be NIB.
I was offered an NIB, still sealed Seneca 36 cal with a very low serial number for $1500 and the guy didn't even blink.
There is no doubt the Seneca is the most sought after, price wise, Thompson Center made. There were few made and they are wonderful shooters.
If you don't appreciate them as NIB, sell them to someone that does and get yourself a lesser “collectable” rifle to shoot. One shot or 100 they will not be NIB so beware.
The Cherokee is a much less desirable gun than a Seneca. But some folks like them better just like comparing a Hawken to a Renegade.
My advise keep them NIB or sell them as NIB. You may and probably won't see another Seneca NIB for the rest for your life. As you should have concluded form reading the common posts of, “Why can't I ever find this stuff?”

Ebiggs,tough shoes to be in huh!Most people are paying well over $400 for 1-Seneca and he gets a 2FER- 2 for the price of one LOL!People can go on all they want about TC fanboys and that these rifles are not worth what people are paying for them.The hard facts are these rifles are bringing the bigger bucks and I don't think everybody that is buying one is stupid.They are in big demand period.I looked for a Seneca for 2 years and wished I could buy them for $300.But where I'm at it is not going to happen.I have been going to gunshops,estate sales,garage sales,auctions for 35 years and have only seen maybe 3or4 Seneca or Cherokee's in all that time.My only source was the online auctions and pay the going rate.Anyway I really like mine and think it was well worth the money.I collect mine to shoot.

Man, I appreciate all the conversation and it is dawning on me what a tremendous blessing I experienced when I located these two TCs. I need to clarify a couple things. Only the 45 caliber is NIB. The 36 caliber has been shot. It has a few scratches on the stock and the previous owner installed a peep on the tang similar to what has been mentioned in previous posts. The rear sight is missing and I guess an additional hole has been drilled in the middle of the tang to secure the back screw on the peep sight. An interesting note about the previous owner...in checking out the 36 cal. I found a note in the patch box where he recorded his favorite load. Kinda cool!

The 45 caliber is NIB and has a beautiful burl walnut stock. It has a rich deep blueing on the barrel. A very attractive rifle!

Also, I didn't mean to imply I had no experience with MLs. I just never considered the new manufactured ones as collectables. I have never shot them in competition but I have hunted with them for thirty years. I have gravitated away from using the traditional ones to the inlines. This may be sacrilege to some but a few experiences in the field which resulted in letting some really decent bucks escape and be hunted another day migrated me to the modern MLs! I started out carrying a traditional Hawkins, possibles bag and a home made powder horn! But things like low light conditions, hunting in the rain and having the ML snap or the range be too great to feel comfortable with a clean kill slowly converted me to inlines with speed loaders, power belts and 209 primers. Please don't hold my transformation against me, I still love the traditional MLs and that is why I was looking for a small caliber one to hunt squirrels, etc! I currently use the TC Omega and took my first nice bull elk in September 2011 with it.

With all of your help I have decided what I am going to do. I am going to get what I need to shoot the 36 cal and keep the 45 cal NIB. From now on, I'll keep my eyes open for these MLs and maybe lighting will strike twice and I can find a 45 cal. shooter to try out.
Thank you all for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
A wise choice, and Thank you for the follow up.

Come`on back if you have questions about your 36, or even better tell us how great a shooter it turned out to be.

p.s.
As you can tell from the above post, the 36 is sought after too. There's alot of 32's out there but the 36 is getting harder to find.

lol yep, I been buyin up any 36 i can find in decent shape for a few years now. they are rare indeed. and anyone who has one loves em and wont part. barrel makers dont even seem interested in messing with them. ive been down that road too. haha and admitting al this aint helping MY cause either :idunno:

B Street,very good decision,keep the .45 NIB especially if it has a burl stock.The pretty stocked ones bring a premium price over and above the plainer stocked ones.That gun will only increase in value.Shoot the .36,that is a perfect small game,plinker rifle.Take care of it tho it is a very valuable rifle too,the TC peep on it is probably worth $100 on the used market.On a side note the used .45 Seneca barrels can be had for reasonable prices if you take your time looking.Then you can drop it in your .36 stock and have your .45.Like the others said don't overload it and get the dreaded TC crack.Anyway great find,enjoy shooting the .36.

Looking for a second barrel in 45 caliber is an excellent idea! That way I get the experience of shooting both calipers and keep the NIB 45 untouched. Thank you for suggesting that!

The previous owner had the bullet molds for both and a lot of maxi and round balls already in little plastic boxes. I was able to get them as well and I was wondering what I was going to do with the 45s if I didn't shoot it. If I find another barrel, problem solved!

If I can figure out how to include a photo I'll try to show the pretty wood. Thanks again for the suggestions. I really enjoy the interaction! I have some other questions on other subjects and will be asking them in the near future.

:thumbsup: I took the plunge and bought a Seneca in .45, which should arrive from Kalifornia this coming Friday. I already have everything I need to give her a try. I have hope the weather will be sunny with not too much wind. If you "Google" Thompson Center Seneca Manual you can download their manual with everything you will most likely need to know. Good info on loads with various projectiles. Good Luck :hatsoff:

I have a 36 cal. Seneca, and it is in near new condition. It is super accurate. I shoot and enjoy it, and pay close attention, to care for it.

I saw a rusty one a few weeks ago. I should have bought it anyway. It was a 45 and I have read that they don't shoot as well as the Hawken 45, but that is information being reported on various forums.

The Cherokee is the same size as a Seneca, but doesn't have a patch box or brass nose piece, similar to comparing a Hawken to a Renegade.

Good find, and enjoy.

If you have a TC peep sight on your 36 and don't like or want it send me a PM as I know a guy who wants one.

I think you will like shooting the 36 they are really nice guns.

OK, the value on the 36 Seneca has dropped considerable with what you just revealed. Still, it's barrel alone is worth somewhere in the $300 range give or take a few bucks. Depending on it's condition after being used, of course. Use it and enjoy it. :grin:

B Street said:
Looking for a second barrel in 45 caliber is an excellent idea! That way I get the experience of shooting both calipers and keep the NIB 45 untouched.
Nope, it don't work that way.
The hammer, lock and stock will show signs of being fired.
NIB rifles still have the factory packing grease. And that grease needs to be removed before shooting, or it'll be removed if/when the rifle is cleaned after shooting.
Anyone paying a premium price for NIB will notice.

I had a NIB Condition Cherokee pass through my hands once about 15yrs ago. It was a consignment sale with a documented story and it's un-fired condition was obvious.
A guy had bought his nephew the gun, the kid was never allowed to join his uncle for shooting because of a family feud (anti-gunner issues). The then grown Nephew sold the gun after his Uncle passed.

Point is NIB is un-fired, one shot and NIB is gone, and for those that have the knowledge and experiance, it's fairly easy to notice.
Besides, selling a fired rifle as NIB is fraud.

Now I am confused, I thought the OP said he'd bought two (2) Senecas and one was a .45 NIB and the other was a used .36. He was going to keep the NIB as such and buy a used .45 Seneca to shoot, but it was suggested that he buy a used .45 barrel to shoot. I assumed he would use the stock and lock of the used .36 and keep the other hidden away as a NIB. The barrels of the .45 and .36 will interchange won't they? Take care

Clovis,you have it right.He just needs to buy a used .45 barrel.The used Seneca .45 barrel will drop right in his used Seneca .36 stock.The .45's make a even nicer handling gun than the .36 because the barrels are lighter.Heck he can even use a .45 Cherokee barrel on his .36 Seneca if he doesn't mind the shorter barrel.He may have to modify the Cherokees barrel under rib.Hope this is clear to B-Street LOL!

The Cherokee is a little more desireable because fewer of them were sold; thus rare. I see far more Senecas in general. A case were less is more.

P.A.

You have it right. I will be looking for a used Seneca barrel in 45 caliber to shoot on my USED 36 caliber rifle. The NIB 45 caliber Seneca rifle (with the beautiful burl walnut stock) will remain safely tucked away and UNFIRED! Thanks for keeping everyone straight!

Point is NIB is un-fired, one shot and NIB is gone, ...

Never-the-less this fact is often overlooked and misused or mis-termed. But it means exactly "New-in-box". The one I spoke of that was offered to me for $1500 was not even an opened box and the owner would not let me open it as I would have to cut the factory tape. He wanted money on the table before hand and a very serious buyer before he would allow that.
If you do intend to keep it NIB resist temptations to even remove it from the box to look at it. :shocked2:

B Street said:
Does any of the Cherokee Rifles have their name inscribed on the barrel? - Yes.

How do you tell them from the Seneca? Does it look any different? -

Cherokee's & Seneca's are the only sidehammer T/C rifles with 13/16" barrels (measured across-the-flats) - all other T/C rifles have 15/16" or 1" octagon barrels (or round bbls).

Seneca's have a brass patchbox & forend nosecap that Cherokee's do not - plus a 3" longer barrel (27", vs 24" for the Cherokee)

Both the NIB 45 and the used 36 have brass trim and patch boxes. I was just curious about why the 36 caliber did not have "Seneca" stamped on the barrel? I found that odd.

Back