• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nickle Plated revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently saw a nickle plated 1851 colt in .44 online. Wow, it was purrrty. However, its my understanding that the frame under the nickle is brass. My question is, does the nickle lend any durability to the gun or is it all show? I know it makes it easier to clean. What do you guys say?

Don

It's all show.
Nickle can be plated over both steel and brass but it adds no strength to either.
If the this is a brass framed gun and you want to shoot it, use the reduced powder loads recommended for the brass framed guns.
This is typically around 20 grains of FFFg or Pyrodex P for a .44 caliber.
Larger powder loads can damage brass framed guns after repeated use.

Last i checked the nickel makes it look shiny all the time, and supposedly resists corrosion and rusting alot better then steel or brass

Well yes, nikel plating does resist rust and corrosion, that's why they were originally plated...not for looks. The nickel plated Colt's were often issued to the Indian scouts, sometimes even referred to as "Indian Guns".

Be aware that some solvents will instantly strip off nickel plating. Otherwise it's not bad stuff.

Rat

Nickle plating will resist corrosion, scratching, and surface wear better than brass, iron, or most steels. How ever, as stated above, it does nothing to add strength.

As for the question of solvents, the problem comes when using bore solvents that are supposed to remove copper fouling. Part of the surface preparation for most nickle plating involves first plating with copper. If a copper solvent gets under the nickle via some tiny defect it will attack the copper and the nickle comes free and flakes off. Such tiny defects often occur at plating edges or at the muzzle where there is usually an edge to the nickle plating and the most likely place to get wet with bore cleaner. So you want to be picky about what you use for cleaning. (Ammonia will also attack copper, it's an ingredient in some copper fouling solvents.)

Back