• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple gets stuck!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arilar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Been out twice with a new (old) percussion-rifle. After I am done with shooting (after about 20-35 shots) its very hard to remove the nipple. Whats the trick in preparing to avoid the problem?
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

arilar

I had the same problem till I read ON HERE that if ya let water get to it,, It comes out real easy,, and it does,,,,,

I've always put just a little of what ever patch lube I have on the threads when I'm cleaning and the the next time I shoot it still comes out with no trouble ( just enough to coat the threads.) I screw it in then back out and wipe any excess off then put it back in and tighten. :blue:

Get a tube of anti-seize high temp lube or choke tube lube.

With the nipple and bolster threads clean, liberally apply the lube and seat the nipple. Don't reef it, just snug it down.

At the range after about 10 shots or so, "crack loose" and then re-snug the nipple.

Lastly, remove the nipple at the first opportunity when finished shooting. I remove mine before leaving the range and they always easily thread right out.

:m2c:

Exactly. Lube the threads, and do not reef the nipple down with huge amounts of torque. Like a spark plug in an engine, just snug. (yes I've seen plenty of spark plugs that had been torqued in...and the resulting damaged threads, or broken plugs and skinned knuckles trying to get them out!)

Gentle.

Rat

Thanks to you all!!
Always something new to pick up. Try it at next opportunity.
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Put lube on both the bolster and nipple threads. I do this with a toothpick.

This has been working excellent for me. One tube will last you a very long time:
http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

Choke Tube Lube
Prevents stuck choke tubes caused by corrosion, high stress of steel shot loads, extreme temperatures and pressure from repeated trap and skeet shooting. Withstands heat and prevents seizure even at extreme temperatures up to 2000

I just use good ol' Crisco for all threads on BP burners. I filled an empty cap-tin with it and it goes out with the range bag.

Never had a problem to get nipples or screws out. And, as others said, don't screw them in like Arnold Schwarzenegger could do in his best years!

IMO, one of the problems with lubing the nipple threads is that people are not aware of the effects of petroleum based oils and greases on black powder fouling.

For reasons which are unknown to me, when black powder fouling and petroleum oils get together, a hard material is produced which will lock up threads and foul the bore of the gun.

If you lube the threads with a vegetable oil like Olive, Crisco, Caster, Peanut..... the hard layer will not form.
This explains why some of you have found that patch lubes like WonderLube 1000 (and all of the other modern patch lubes) seems to work well for a nipple lube and cartridge gun lubes don't.

This is the reason the old patch lubes which contained petroleum oils (back in the '60s) are not around any more. Folks found the lube caused more problems than it solved. :shocking:

Back