• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nipple & hammer face not centered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgilmore

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a traditions deer hunter .50 side lock that i have had for about a week now, The gun shoots well but i noticed the nipple and hammer face is off center alot. When the nipple is not tight all the way, it clears the side of the hammer but when the nipple is tight its hitting the edge of the cap before it comes into contact with the hammer face. Anyone ever see this and what can be done about it. Thanks for any help.

If it works every time the way it is I wouldn't worry about it..But if it bothers ya you can heat the hammer and bend it to fit if you want to and lots of guys have done just that..I have not done it to any of mine but I would think you would want to remove the hammer before heating it..I am sure you would have to heat it till it is red hot or you may break it..I don't think propane would do it but Oxy/Acetylene will..You don't need to heat the whole hammer just one spot on the shaft would do it..You may have to do it a couple times till you get it rite but it won't hurt it as long as you heat it back up after you get it done and cool it in oil..Just my 2cents

lead chunker said:
I have a traditions deer hunter .50 side lock that i have had for about a week now, The gun shoots well but i noticed the nipple and hammer face is off center alot. When the nipple is not tight all the way, it clears the side of the hammer but when the nipple is tight its hitting the edge of the cap before it comes into contact with the hammer face. Anyone ever see this and what can be done about it. Thanks for any help.

Bend the hammer it will likely bend enough cold.

Dan

Yes I've seen that,

Sometimes the trouble isn't the hammer so much as the way the lock is set in the mortice, take a good look at the way the lock fit's in the stock. Maybe the screws are too tight or or too loose, you can remove a bit of wood on the top or bottom to get the entire lock to tip the proper direction for better alignment. Ya know? kinda look at the hole lock/lock panel fit. Is it in there straight?

If that doesn't work,,
,what Dan said, it'll bend that tiny bit you need cold. Take the hammer off the lock, a padded vise and a cresent wrench has done the job for me. You don't really need to move it that much.
Search around for the post that PaulV has about hammer cup/nipple fit, it's very helpfull.

Of the 4 guns I have built...2 of them need the hammer to be bent. It was never a matter of too short or too long, but side to side that needed adjusting. A Benz propane torch with do the job nicely. Place the hammer in a vice (as low as it will sit to prevent the arm from bending)after removing it from the gun and heat it up till it's glowing red. Take a large crescent and gently bend the hammer in the appropriate direction. A little bend goes a long way so just barely bend it. I allowed mine to cool slowly after a couple shots of WD40. They are centered fine now.

I have bent them a little bit without heating,I guess it would depend on the brand of the lock if this could be done

Back