• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple Replacement on TC Hawkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuck

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello All,

Was referred here by someone on another site. I have a TC Hawkin in .50 cal. I shot sometime ago and was having a hard time getting the no. 11 caps to seat on the nipple. Since this gun is basically third-hand, my now deceased Uncle bought it used and my Dad bought it from my Aunt for me, I decide to put a new nipple on it. I got a Hot-shot nipple from TC but when I went to change it the threads are different on the new nipple. I didn't see that there were two options on the new nipples so what should I do?

Thanks,
Kentuck

The T/C Hawken uses 1/4 X28 threads. T/C makes nipples for other guns as well.

Take your old nipple to a hardware store and check the threads in the guides they have there. If you are not sure how to do it ask for help. The gun may have been retapped to a different sized nipple or had a metric one cross threaded into it.

As Pittsburghunter said, the nipple for a TC Hawken should be a 1/4-28 thread.
Perhaps TC sent you the wrong nipple.

While your waiting for a replacement, if you have some #11 caps, a electric drill and a small flat file you can fix your present working nipple.

Chuck the nipple in the drill and lay it on a workbench (or the kitchen table) with the drill pointed from your left to your right.

While the drill is running, hold the flat file on the nipples cone and push it forward to file off just a little bit from the coned diameter.
Try a couple of caps. If they won't fit down properly, file some more.

When the cap fits down with just a little push, the nipple is fixed. :grin:

By the way, Welcome to the site!! :)
We are the friendliest place on the web. No question is too small or dumb. We don't 'flame' people here and we have some of the most knowledgeable folks in the World when it comes to Muzzleloading questions. The only caveat is we do not discuss the new modern in-line firearms here.
(Call us 'old fashioned' :grin:)

If you stick around, I think you will find this place to be something you will want to visit daily. :)
zonie :)

GET A # 7070 T/C nipple fom somewhere..that will fit it :thumbsup:

T/C should have them...you also might want to get two of them.

Yep. I did the same thing with my nipples. I file and sand smooth to fit cetain caps. I have nipples "sized" for CCI Magnum Caps and others for RWS Caps.

Thanks for the tips. I will try and do some work on it this weekend. I was shooting CCI caps at the time. Recently picked up some Remington caps. Will also give TC a call and see what's up.
Thanks everyone. I really want to hang onto this rifle. Not into the inlines and hope some day to maybe bring in a good ol' Kentucky Rifle. Even took the scope off it. Seems like cheating to use a scope.

Zermatt7

I checked the TC website and the 7070 is threaded the same as the hot Shot I bought. 1/4 X 28.

Kentuck

Kentuck said:
Zermatt7

I checked the TC website and the 7070 is threaded the same as the hot Shot I bought. 1/4 X 28.
Kentuck
If I owned that barrel and what you've described, I'd stop by the hardward store and buy a 1/4"x28 tap and tap werench if I didn't already have one.

I'd gently screw it into the nipple seat as a "thread chaser"...if the issue simply is that the threads have been buggered up a little, running the tap in and back out should clean things right up...inspect them closely with a strong light (and magnifying glass if you have one) then seat the nipple...make sure it feels snug and has no play or wiggle after it's bottomed out, etc.

If that doesn't work, I would then send it to TC's Service Manager and ask him to take a look at it...and in all probability they'll install a new breechplug, reblue the whole thing, at no charge under lifetime warranty.

Just remember, if you decide to take roundballs advice and chase the threads it is very easy to start the tap crooked and if you force it into the hole that way, it will mess up all of the threads.
Even if the threads are 'buggered up', you should be able to start the tap at least 2 full turns using just your fingers.

Zonie said:
Just remember, if you decide to take roundballs advice and chase the threads it is very easy to start the tap crooked and if you force it into the hole that way, it will mess up all of the threads.
Even if the threads are 'buggered up', you should be able to start the tap at least 2 full turns using just your fingers.

Zonie...that's why I already said "gently"

Sorry for the delay. Finally got by the hardware store to check the threads on my current nipple. It fit ok in the 1/4X28 but seemed perfect for the 6X1 metric thread. I believe the nipple I have is the 6X1.

Kentuck said:
Sorry for the delay. Finally got by the hardware store to check the threads on my current nipple. It fit ok in the 1/4X28 but seemed perfect for the 6X1 metric thread. I believe the nipple I have is the 6X1.
That suggest that somebody has either retapped it or buggered up the threads so bad they no longer take a TC 1/4" x 28.
If it was me at this point, I'd send it back to TC, ask them if they can fix the snail so their 1/4" x 28 Hot Shot fits it...they'll get it right at no charge (or contact you if they can't).

Back