• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NO MORE .50'S

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionair

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Dateline : NEW YORK

"Assembly members are urging the governor and the Senate to get on board with these bills...."

Bill 4471A - Will essentially BAN the sale, possession or use of .50 cal weapons. This could include 10 and 12 guage shotguns, muzzlelaoders of .50 cal or larger, as well as some rifles used on big game.....

If you live here in New York, call, write, email, fax, or visit your state representatives and senators.....

"From my cold, dead fingers....."

Legion

I just emailed my state senator, senate majority leader, vice president, majority whip, deputy majority whip and the minority leader. Also sent one to Senator Dale Volker. He's always been there working for gun owners.

NYer's: Read the bill (www.senate.state.ny.us)! It does not contain language which excludes muzzleloaders, handguns, pistol-cartridge rifles or shotguns from the ban...CONTACT YOUR SENATORS. You can email them directly from the senate website.

I went to the state web site. When I do a search for that bill, it comes up as an "invalid bill number."

I just emailed Senator Seward and voiced my opinion.. thanks for the heads up! imagine, a revoluntary war reenactment,4th of july and no muzzleloaders.how unAMERICAN! RC let alone deer season ahhh!

Sorry about that...to read the bill go the Assembly site (www.assembly.state.ny.us) and plug in the bill number.

Unfortunately Bill A4471 passed in the State Assembly by quite a margin Legion. It's now before the State Senate. I did e-mail Senator Tom Libous on same, will be waiting on his reply. He is a very pro gun/hunting guy though. For what it's worth, I'm quite sure the individual(s) responsible for originally drafting this bill were not looking at us muzzleoader shooters. They in no doubt refering to the .50 Browning round which is meant to be fired from the Browning M2 Machinegun. Of course Barrett and Armalite are now producing bolt and semi's for same which is what I believe this bill is aimed at. I will say this for the 50 as a sniper round, it's proved quite effective in sending more than a few enemy Towel heads to premature visits with Allah!

Read the bill.

A. 4471--A 2

1 assault weapon, large capacity ammunition feeding device, 50-CALIBER
2 WEAPON, pistol or revolver.
3 S 3. Section 265.00 of the penal law is amended by adding a new subdi-
4 vision 24 to read as follows:
5 24. "50-CALIBER WEAPON" MEANS A RIFLE CAPABLE OF FIRING A CENTER-FIRE
6 CARTRIDGE IN 50-CALIBER OR LARGER, .50 BMG CALIBER OR LARGER, ANY OTHER
7 VARIANT OF 50-CALIBER OR LARGER, OR ANY OTHER METRIC EQUIVALENT OF SUCH
8 CALIBER, PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT NOTHING IN THIS SUBDIVISION SHALL BE
9 CONSTRUED TO INCLUDE ANY MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE WHICH IS DESIGNED TO USE
10 BLACK POWDER, OR A BLACK POWDER SUBSTITUTE, AND WHICH CANNOT USE FIXED
11 AMMUNITION.

PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT NOTHING IN THIS SUBDIVISION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO INCLUDE ANY MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE WHICH IS DESIGNED TO USE BLACK POWDER, OR A BLACK POWDER SUBSTITUTE, AND WHICH CANNOT USE FIXED AMMUNITION.

Don't get all worked up until you understand the facts.

Stumpkiller said:
Read the bill.

A. 4471--A 2

11 AMMUNITION.

PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT NOTHING IN THIS SUBDIVISION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO INCLUDE ANY MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE WHICH IS DESIGNED TO USE BLACK POWDER, OR A BLACK POWDER SUBSTITUTE, AND WHICH CANNOT USE FIXED AMMUNITION.

It looks as though the bill will also include the old .50-70, .50-90, and .50-140 blackpowder cartiridges as well. :(

T-bone

Rebel said:
No matter how they word it, it is still government control of us and our lives.

Rebel, I agree!!:hatsoff:

I would also suspect the bill includes modern shotgun slugs, and may set a precedence in states that have "shotgun only" deer seasons.

T-bone

maybe a stupid question,probably is but, for clearity,does the exemption cover like a 12 ga.shotgun w/ rifling..?? sorry gotta ask,I flunked law...RC :redface:

As I stated to Legion earlier Stumpkiller, I did'nt believe this bill was referring to muzzleoading rifles. I belive it is intended towards the .50 cal centerfire cartridge fired from the M2 Browning Machine Gun or it's civilian counterparts such as the Barrett or the Armalite. But yes you are right in your statement.

Now there ya got me. :hmm:

I read through it, and, to my unlegal eyes, it doesn't say a rifled barreled shotgun is not a rifle. :hmm: I have a Hastings fully rifled barrel on my semi-auto 11-87 for deer. Could be I'm suddenly in possession of a "50-caliber or larger weapons having the capacity for rapidly discharging ammunition" and, according to them, it has "no acceptable purpose."

Perhaps this is partially the reason the county I hunt (Tioga) just allowed centerfire rifles for the first time since Truman was president.

Well, I'm in herkimer co. 1 of the other 9 that legalized rifles (boo) anyways, alot of the flack i heard about this bill was the rifled shotgun barrel....well ain't in much favor of any gun law old or new,seems they only affect us law abiding souls.. now if'n the criminals,actual or wanttabes would play along...ah hell that'll never happen.. sure would like to know about the shotgun thing anyone??? RC :confused:

T-bone said:
Stumpkiller said:
Read the bill.

A. 4471--A 2

11 AMMUNITION.

It looks as though the bill will also include the old .50-70, .50-90, and .50-140 blackpowder cartiridges as well. :(

T-bone

Don't forget the old spencer carbine too. :shake: This country is going to hell in a hand basket.

Read this in "New York Outdoor News". Its a hunting/ fishing "newspaper" thats only about a year old.

I had not checked the bill in the legislature to see how it read exactly, as I just read the article before going to bed.

And this morning I wanted to give everybody a headsup, before going to work.

Whole thing just sent up redflags with me.....

Legion

IMHO, anything that isn't specifically excluded in the wording of the bill will eventually come under fire, if it's not considered to have been banned from the word go. It's just a matter of the wrong person being given the responsibility of interpreting the wording, and shotguns with rifled bores are gone. This is the danger in laws (I know, that makes me sound like an anarchist or something, which I'm not; but with any great power comes the potential for great harm). What they appear to say, in one person or court's opinion, may be radically different from what another interprets them as meaning. And, as has been demonstrated all-too-many times throughout this country's history, what the framers of the law themselves meant is irrelevant even before the ink's dry.

I know I don't live in New York, but we're all Americans, all gun owners, all shooters, and what flies in one state is going to be watched closely by the legislators in the others.

Wow. I'm getting an education in the mentalities of different parts of the nation.

If I didn't know better, I might think this post deals with gun control.

Although I agree the subject is an important issue it seems to me that Claude wants these issues discussed somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back