• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No R in the month

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I retired and moved from S. Fla to Oklahoma, my friends told me it was necessary to only harvest (i.e., KILL) rabbits after the first frost. The reason? The rabbits had WARBLES!
Had never heard of the warble things, so, like a tourist or something, I asked. Turns out warbles are the bot fly larvae growing under the skin. Apparently, even inside a nice, warm, soft rabbit fur jacket, the first frost killed the bot fly larvae.

In the Navy at Lemoore NAS, S. of Fresno, CA, several times a year the local farmers would rig a large V-shaped net, and get us Navy guys to chase the jack rabbits into the V, and thus into a square fence about 100' x 100' - where we clubbed them! Since they paid us $0.50 for each jack rabbit, there was never a lack of sailors to handle the chore.
Depending on the size of the field, there could be as many as 1,000 or more in the trap.

I was raised in towns and cities where the only rabbits I ever saw were in pet stores.

The owners take a very dim view of people going into their stores and shooting their bunnies.
Well now....you take them outside the store and shoot them, this way you pacify the store keep:doh::ThankYou:🤣

You just can't take the R out of the month, the months just don't sound right:eek:🤪🤪😂😂:
Januay
Febuay
Mach
Apil
Septembe
Octobe
Novembe
Decembe

Henry, that is about what I thought, regardless of what the locals believed.
I was a wetlands and wildlife biologist/environmentalist for most of my working life. Worked from Virginia south to Argentina, many stops in between. I was aware of the bot fly, indeed even had a compatriot or two who had them under their skin. Never did any study or research on them, so I appreciate the information.

Why? Tastes like chicken....and I'd bet a dollar to a dime tastes better than your ears:ThankYou:🤣
And you definitely wouldn't like SE Asian cuisine🐵
My grandmothers rabbit cacciatore was the best. We had it on weekends during rabbit season. I was a young pup then hunted w my dad grandfather and dads friends normally about 8 of us and 3 dogs . Lord I miss them hunts.

My grandmothers rabbit cacciatore was the best. We had it on weekends during rabbit season. I was a young pup then hunted w my dad grandfather and dads friends normally about 8 of us and 3 dogs . Lord I miss them hunts.
Rabbit "in the style of the hunter" is a lot more authentic than chicken cacciatore.

Heard the "R" rule for Oysters, but not for rabbits. Guess, I grew up so accustomed to fall and winter hunting seasons, that taking them any other time never occurred to me.

Here in the UK the old folk law system was not to eat rabbit if there is no R in the month. I for one observe this but a majority do not .The reason been that most rabbits are heavy with young or feeding young which is known has a milky doe Rabbits are classed has ground game but also a pest some will breed all the year round if weather conditions are right but the months of May , June, July, and August are the main breeding months
Feltwad
I am not an expert, but I have heard that rabbits are more prone to get worms etc, in the summer months in the US.

Back