• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Vt, deer but still trying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thought I would post a picture of my snow covered primitive hunt on opening day of the Vermont muzzle season. With all the in-liners out there I promised the wife I would wear orange so I made the waistcoat just in time for the season.
An experienced tailor I am not but it does the job.
I did get out this afternoon. Saw a good size deer. Couldn't tell if it had horns.I tracked it for over 2 miles but never saw it again. Its tough when the snow is deep and crunchy on top.
Primitivevewwittcamp092.jpg

Beautiful country- crunchy snow and tracking?

Might Oak this is my opinion-only -you get what you pay for..

I hope you are the only one hunting those hills- Man your colors look more like a deer than a hunter..hope your wearing a Kevlar vest! In low light condition you are asking for trouble! Good luck- hunt safe! More blaze orange please.(Hat and sleeves) you are scaring me.

I don't know if it's changed but there was a no hunter safety orange law when I hunted Weathersfield back in the 70's to mid 80's. We all wore red/black plaid coats wool green pants and red crusher hats back then. :haha:

I applaud anyone who wears orange today in areas where they don't have to. :thumbsup:

I respect your opinion and I appreciate your concern for my safety but in a state were hunter orange is not required (Vermont)even during rifle season, I believe the orange waistcoat during muzzle season should be enough for another hunter to know I am not a deer. I will take your concern into consideration on my next hunt.
Thank you.

Yep.
I started sewing about a year ago out of necessity. I have always had a problem spending money on things that I new I could make. I must say, although I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, I kind of enjoy it.
My next venture is to make a New-England rifle bore but I still have allot of homework to do before I step into that realm. Someday though.

makeumsmoke said:

I hope you are the only one hunting those hills- Man your colors look more like a deer than a hunter..hope your wearing a Kevlar vest! In low light condition you are asking for trouble! Good luck- hunt safe! More blaze orange please.(Hat and sleeves) you are scaring me.

easy there,
Orange is not required in VT and from sombody who grew up wearing Johnson Woolin mill green jackets I never felt it nessary in my state.
Maby VT'ers just naturally check their targets before shooting.
Most of us in grew up in a hunting famley steeped in tradition and gun safty.
:thumbsup:

Mighty Oak said:
Just thought I would post a picture of my snow covered primitive hunt on opening day of the Vermont muzzle season. With all the in-liners out there I promised the wife I would wear orange so I made the waistcoat just in time for the season.
An experienced tailor I am not but it does the job.
I did get out this afternoon. Saw a good size deer. Couldn't tell if it had horns.I tracked it for over 2 miles but never saw it again. Its tough when the snow is deep and crunchy on top.
Primitivevewwittcamp092.jpg

Hay Mighty oak,
Nice hunting garb :bow:
Good to see the Green Mtns covered in snow. My buddies back home are hunting the Lowle Mts but the moose have taken over the top of the MT and they are stuck hunting the willow bottoms.
How is the deer pop in the south?
Can't waite to draw a moose tag and come home with my 54.

"I started sewing about a year ago out of necessity. I have always had a problem spending money on things that I new I could make. I must say, although I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, I kind of enjoy it."

I started sewing a year or so ago. I made a small backpacking tent. Made it just the way I wanted (can't buy it like that), and for a lot less. Yeah I too like sewing. But I like other stuff more (like woodworking and shooting).

Greenmtnboy said:
makeumsmoke said:

easy there,
Orange is not required in VT and from sombody who grew up wearing Johnson Woolin mill green jackets I never felt it nessary in my state.
Most of us in grew up in a hunting famley steeped in tradition and gun safty.
:thumbsup:

I totally agree, pretty much how it was when I started hunting Vermont in 74' and stopped in 83'. There was never a thought of wearing orange.

Only time I ever got scared was one time I was in my tree with probably 6" snow on the ground. Unfortunately across the road was a place where a lot of non-residents went hunting, it was around a well known apple orchard and every other license plate on the cars/trucks parked just off the road was Mass plates, sorry Mass members, just the way it was back then. it dipped on my side from the road and there was a good 75, 100 yard field then our woods and my tree was about 50 yards inside these woods. My height standing up in the tree was just below the height of the road. Well...one day I hear blam! blam! blam! I naturally look over to the road because the shots came from there and I see this little cigarette length spike with ears straight down and tongue hanging out come running in between the parked cars headed my way.... next thing I know 3 yahoo's come running up to the cars and start shooting, across the road! At this deer which was headed my way and these idiots had no idea they were so excited they were shooting high and hitting trees all around me, even hit my tree I was in! I did the only thing I could do, jumped spread eagle into the snow and tried to make myself as small as possible.

Last I saw of the small spike he was heading in our swamp. I had a few choice words which stopped the three guys in our field, that I can't say here after standing up and brushing myself off. Probably not the smartest thing but I was scared as hell. I asked if any of them saw one spot of blood in the snow anywhere, to which after a quick look around by them I get a sheepish "no". I said good now, get off my property please. I think I said please...it has been a long time, memory not so good. But they couldn't see me only hear me. They reluctantly turned around and headed back to their cars.

I think I shook for an hour and not from the cold either. :shake:

Hang in there Mighty Oak we still have one weekend left good luck and see ya at the biathlon
Todd

And did those guys get in the cars with the Mass plates or not? Sorry, Swampy, just good-naturedly ribbin' you, I know exactly what you mean and I tell you I HATE all the jerks who go out into our northern neighboring woods as ambassadors from my state. To ramble on a bit, I honestly don't know where these guys sprouted from. I'm 55 now. When I was a kid, shooting in the woods with the adult men was like boot camp. I mean good woodsmanship and safety rules were drilled in. Half the time hunting I was shivering, not from the cold but rom being afraid I walked beyond the sight-line or some other infraction that could get me chewed out for a couple hours. And this pretty much was the story with all the guys I've known/met who grew up within a dozen years either way. Now I see these trucks with beer cans and.........aww what's the use, I just get too worked up about it and my blood pressure is high enough as it is. Just, PLEASE know that we're not all Ma**holes here.

Thanks for not busting my chops! I taught
hunter safety for years it is now just part of me!Didn't mean to step on toes here!

I think your period garb is fitting!

My problem is I read all the hunting accident reports for the State of Wisconsin each year and it's not pretty!

Majority of the serious shootings involve family members - or self inflicted gunshot wounds- In Wisconsin there were over 600,000 deer gun tags sold for a 9 day season- blaze is mandatory 100 % hat and 50% body- when you hear a slug whiz by you will never forget it!

I wear blaze when I grouse hunt so my partners a least have a chance of seeing me.

On reading some of the old reports 20 deaths back in the 1940's and 1950's were common and they didn't have 1/3 of the hunters today- I would love to only were my plaid wool mackinaw and step back in time-but I would like to hunt for or say 15 to 20 more years. Since the blaze orange law took effect the accident rate has plummeted.
Have fun-hunt safe...Dan

Marc Adamchek said:
And did those guys get in the cars with the Mass plates or not? Sorry, Swampy, just good-naturedly ribbin' you, I know exactly what you mean and I tell you I HATE all the jerks who go out into our northern neighboring woods as ambassadors from my state. To ramble on a bit, I honestly don't know where these guys sprouted from. I'm 55 now. When I was a kid, shooting in the woods with the adult men was like boot camp. I mean good woodsmanship and safety rules were drilled in. Half the time hunting I was shivering, not from the cold but rom being afraid I walked beyond the sight-line or some other infraction that could get me chewed out for a couple hours. And this pretty much was the story with all the guys I've known/met who grew up within a dozen years either way. Now I see these trucks with beer cans and.........aww what's the use, I just get too worked up about it and my blood pressure is high enough as it is. Just, PLEASE know that we're not all Ma**holes here.

I'd be lieing to you if I said yes, I just don't remember. I was 15 at the time I believe and scared half out of my wits. Anyone who has heard a half dozen or so bullets smack the trees around you and have one hit the tree your in, I'm sure you understand how I felt at the time.

That road was only used by out of State hunters to park. I don't believe I ever saw a Vermont plate, can't ever remember seeing a n R.I plate there either which I always though odd as the 200 acres across the road was owned by Rhode Islanders, my family. I saw mostly Mass, some N.H and some Conn plates, it definitely was a non-resident place to hunt. I think Vermonters were to smart and stayed away from that area at the time.

"easy there,
Most of us in grew up in a hunting famley steeped in tradition and gun safty."

I'm willing to bet you don't use seat belts either!

makeumsmoke said:
"easy there,

Why wear a seat belt when theres airbags! Duh! :wink:

Yup bullets zipping past you gets the blood going, I've had a couple zip past while hunting and a few more at work.

Swampy said:
makeumsmoke said:
"easy there,

Why wear a seat belt when theres airbags! Duh! :wink:

Swampy Glad to hear your feeling better!... You Must have been between 2 nurses again!

Back