• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nock's Volley Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Bosh

Pilgrim
Reaction score
here's my nocks volley gun i just finished. it's made out of some trs parts, and the rest are my hand made parts. the last one of these i saw, Kit Ravenshear had. this is built of an original one. i'm showing this off, before it goes up for sale.

i know everyone wanted to see one of these!

John

nocks.jpg

nocks2.jpg

nocks3.jpg

nocks4.jpg

Great looking gun! I sure would have enjoyed watching that one being built step by step! :hatsoff:

What are the specifics on it? Caliber .. barrel dimensions, weight, etc?

Davy

Davy said:
Great looking gun! I sure would have enjoyed watching that one being built step by step! :hatsoff:

What are the specifics on it? Caliber .. barrel dimensions, weight, etc?

Davy

Knowing John is a stickler for authenticity, I'd guess it is like the original with 7 barrels of .50 caliber each firing off of a common breech. The original worked off a big pile of powder but don't recall the actual amount. It had been ordered by the Royal Navy with the idea of firing from the fighting tops of the masts to clear the quarter deck of enemy ships. Probably knocked too many tars out of the rigging! Navy went back to swivel guns in the tops. Cornwell got mileage out of one of his characters using one in the Sharpe series of books. Took one touch hombre to stand up on his hind legs and touch off one of those babies! :rotf:

wow- standing behing that would be no picnic... of course, being in front of it would be something of the Devil's own trick, too.

beautiful gun- i really like the stock.

Mighty fine work!

That looks exactly what I need for a deer rifle.
Might help my odds a little.
Where'd you get it....Wallmart?
Just kidding, very nice work.

You might sell a few to the ( shh!) in-line crowd, as they seem to need every advantage possible.

Best Regards

Old Ford

I'm courious about your lock. Where did you get it? What does the back side of it look like? Can you post some picture?
:thumbsup:

all barrels go off at once.
50 cal.
barrels are 20 inches long.
it weights 11 1/2 pounds.
the lock is built from trs parts. i'll post a picture of the inside later on. as i don't have one right now.
i haven't shot it yet. i plan on taking a few pictures when i do!

John

Don Getz showed me Ravenshear's gun a few years back. He said it takes only fifteen grains of 3fg in each barrel. Even at that it kicks a might. Don't load a stiff load in every barrel or you will hurt yourself and maybe stress the wood beyond its ability to hold the action/barrels. Y'hear now?
God bless.
volatpluvia

I thought that the Knok's Volley Gun were .36 Cal. :confused: Where would I get that impression and am I off the mark? .50 Cal must produce one heck of a kick. .36 would be be bad enough.

Looking forward to picts of the lock works.

One common breech you say? I've often wondered how they managed to get all seven barrels to go off at exactly the same time rather than a "full auto" rattle. I guess if all barrels fired from one common powder charge, that would work. Would still be very slow to load and "interesting" to clean and you'd probably still only hit one target, unless you flinched and missed it. Guess I see why they went back to blunderbusses. :grin:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: As long as I didnt have to carry it!! :thumbsup: Really built a winner! Fred :hatsoff:

Don't have references available, but IIRC, each barrel ignites the next one, with the lock starting things off with the centre one. So they do fire sequentially, but _extremely_ fast. I'd expect the last charge has ignited before the first ball clears the muzzle, or soon after.

Joel

Sir Michael said:
I thought that the Knok's Volley Gun were .36 Cal. :confused: Where would I get that impression and am I off the mark? .50 Cal must produce one heck of a kick. .36 would be be bad enough.

Looking forward to picts of the lock works.

I remember seeing that they were of pistol calibre too, but for the life of me I cannot remember where. Wikipedia states that it's .50, though:
[url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nock_gun[/url]

Beautiful piece you have there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see on that site a smaller,liter rifle was made maybe that is the one yur thinking of Sir M. "Q" what was the one Richard W used in John W's Alamo ? Fred :hatsoff:

heres a picture of the inside of the lock. and a picture of the original i copied it from.

000_0004-1.jpg

000_0015-1.jpg

Back