• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-Resident Small Game Hunting in Missouri?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Any of you Missourians know if it's legal for me (an Illinois resident) can hunt squirrel in Missouri on public land with a non-resident small game license? There are some public places in Clark County that I'm thinking about hunting if legal before August when our season opens. I just figure it'd be fun to get a head start on the tree rats in July because I'm itching to hunt with my new pedersoli double barrel. Thanks.

sure you can. as long as you have your non-resident license you are good to go. :thumbsup:

Do you know if it's legal or not for someone under 18 to hunt with a firearm or not on public land? In Illinois it is on most public ground but I think there's a few that say you must be with an adult to hunt with a gun.

if you were born after 1967 i believe you have to have a Missouri hunter education certificate.

Last year I bought a daily preserve license in Missouri to quail hunt on a preserve by Palmyra and I didn't need a Missouri Hunter's Safety Certificate for that?

It doesn't have to be from Missouri if you have a hunters education certificate from your state that is good enough. But due to your age you may call a conservation agent and ask about that not sure you would be legal to hunt by yourself?

I've been looking at the Missouri regulations and everything and looked at site specific regulations to the Charlie Heathe Conservation Area north of Kahoka like 8 miles. I haven't seen anything that said you needed to be a certain age to hunt there. I have however found that you must use a shotgun to hunt from the beginning of the season until October 15 for some reason :idunno:. They provided a phone number on the page that I called and asked if there was a rule saying what age you need to be to hunt there. She just said you need to comply with Missouri small game hunting regulations and they took my address and are sending me a booklet of regulations so hopefully I'll get that by the end of the week so I can read it then go hunt there.

As an out-of-state resident, you also have to have completed a Hunter Safety Course, and have your card available to show to whoever sells you your Missouri Hunting license and permits. There is reciprocity between the states regarding the Course Certificates, so Your Illinois H-S Card will be accepted in Missouri.

I figured it'd work for Missouri because it worked before when I quail hunted around Palmyra and I bought a daily license for that hunt.

Every hunter born on or after January 1, 1967,
must have completed an approved hunter education
program in Missouri or another state unless:
Ӣ They are age 15 or younger and hunting in
the immediate presence of a properly licensed
adult age 18 or older who is hunter-education
certified or born before January 1, 1967.
Ӣ They possess an Apprentice Hunter
Authorization. This authorization allows
hunters age 16 and older to hunt with firearms
as long as they possess the proper hunting
permits and hunt in the immediate presence
of a properly licensed adult mentor age 18 or
older who is hunter-education certified or born
before January 1, 1967. The Apprentice Hunter
Authorization can be purchased for no more
than two years.
Ӣ They are qualifying landowners or lessees
hunting on their own land, except when they
are acting as the adult for age 15 and younger
youth or a mentor for an Apprentice Hunter as
listed above.

I copied this off of the mdc. web site you may call and ask the lady about this just to make sure. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything I think anybody that wants to hunt should espically at your age. I just don't want to see you get in trouble and lose the right to hunt either. Try to get the number of an actuall game warden and talk to him or her just to cover your butt. I hope you do have a good hunt.

I think I'll just wait 'til Monday the 1st for our own season except I can't go in the morning all that week. I just don't see how my dad and I were issued daily small game hunting licenses and they accepted our Illinois Hunter's Safety Cards.

Your Illnois hunter's safety card is allowed if your dad or someone else over the age of 18 with a hunter's safety card goes you are fine. You being only 16 may not be legal to go by yourself due to your age.

Back