• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nothing but problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He;'s obviously not cleaning the barrels between shots, nor checking the nipples with a wire pick to make sure they and the flash channels under them are clear. I don't think he is cleaning out the barrels with alcohol before he begins loading, either, so there may be oil collecting in the bottom, or back, of the barrel and in the flashchannels. It doesn't take much shooting to plug the barrels up with that lack of attention to cleaning. He's also running the ramrod down by grabbing the far end and trying to run it down in one long, fast, stroke. That is the only way you break two ramrods in as many outings. He needs to be taught to use a hand over hand method of load those barrels. I agree he is using the wrong projectile, and the wrong powder. Since he doesn't know anything about patch thickness, or lubes, he should plan to use another rifle for this year's elk season. With this gun, and his thorough lack of knowledge about ML rifles, he is more dangerous to himself and anyone around him, than he will be to some Elk. I wish him well, and am quite willing to help him learn all this stuff. It really isn't that hard to learn to do, and to do correctly. When you do know how to clean and load a ML, correctly, and you then take game with one, the satisfaction factor goes through the clouds.

First off, I'll join the others in saying you should be using a roundball in your .54.

Also, sense one of your barrels is not working reliably at the moment, forget about it. Don't load it. Paint a bright red mark on it using nail polish (which will come off easily after you figure out what the problem is).

If you were hunting in Arizona, you couldn't use the other barrel anyway. It's against the law to use a 2 shot muzzleloader when hunting elk here. That may be true in your state too so you might want to read the regulations for your state real carefully.
Anyway, if you only load the one barrel you will not risk getting into trouble with the Game officers and you already know that barrel works (most of the time).

Even if your using a Maxi, please limit your range to 120 yards or so. If the game is at 250 yards, then hunt it. Work in to close the distance to 100 yards. If you can do that, and you bag your game it will give a totally new meaning to "hunting", one you will remember the rest of your life.

As to using 100 grains of 777 in your .45 under a Maxi IMO, your going into dangerous areas.
I don't have any data on the 777, but everyone will agree it is more powerful than Pyrodex.
That said, I'll mention the pressures that are listed in the Lymon Black Powder Handbook for Pyrodex RS loaded into a .45 caliber muzzleloader under a 245 grain Maxi.
Read: 23,600 PSI.
Yes, that was 23,600 PSI which is getting into the smokeless guns pressures.
Your CVA was never built for that kind of pressure and your risking your life, and the lives of those around you if you continue to shoot loads like that.

zonie :)

PS: I forgot to mention that when ramming the ball/slug down the barrel you should never try to grab the ramrod over about 8 inches above the muzzle. If you do, you will continue to break them (possibly ramming the remains thru your hand or arm).
You should be ramming the load using several short strokes rather than one or even two long ones.
Have Fun! :)

Hi and O.K. now I know I am overloading the old cva too.And yes the swivel is legal here in montana the law states no more than two barrels.Tomorrow when I go to the fellow I met here on this site to help me make a new ramrod for the L.Day rifle he is going to turn me on to some real black powder and round balls.If that doesnt help there will be an L.Day swivel breech on the market,is anybody interested.

Elker: the reason I said round ball is because when I shoot a conical I have to use a mallet to pound the slug down the barrel and if the barrel is badly fouled and you try to load a tight fitting conical- good luck. This may explain your broken ramrod. At a shooting range you can sort of live with all this but in the field it gets a little impractical. The 54 caliber round ball has been a proven elk killer if the bullet is placed correctly but even a modern bullet won't do the job if misplaced.
I think it may be a mistake to compare round balls and modern bullets. What follows is my OPINION so take it with a grain of salt. When the 30-30 first came out it was the wonder of the ages. All the glory was done with the 170 grain bullet. Killed everything, was used on everything- now folks wonder if it is tough enough for a 150 pound whitetail. When the velocities started climbing higher with the 30-06 class cartridges the lead bullets got so hot they were melting or really fouling bores, etc. To counter this the copper plating was added. Now the copper plating was great in that respect but now there was the problem of expansion so soft points and hollw points were developed.
With a soft lead round ball you don't have that problem, a few years back a guy showed me a 54 caliber round ball he dug out of an elk he killed. That round ball had flatted out like a quarter, image that hot quarter spinning through an elk cutting everything up. In other words, a round ball has proven in the field to be more effective than the ballisticians seem to be able to explain. So don't get too bogged down in the ballistics. The biggest problem with a PRB is rapid velocity loss but unless your eyes are very good long shots with open sights may not be that doable anyway. For example cut out a cardboard deer from a brown cardboard box and then set that deer out an honest 150 yards in some scrub and try to draw a bead. I have trouble even seeing the deer at that distance, let alone if it is a legal buck. I realize elk is different. In any event a PRB is easier to seat in the field and you never get any lead fouling and the black powder residue washes out fast and easier with hot water. Good luck.

Do yourself a favor and buy a range rod. Leave your ramrods in the rifles when at the range and use the range rod to load. The only time I use my ramrods is when I'm in the woods hunting and need to load a second shot.

Have you called Leonard and discussed your problems with him? I've never heard of anyone having problems with his guns, but he can certainly help you.

Elker...
250 yds! That's 2 1/2 times too far a shot for BP IF you had everything working perfect! Don't do it man! Borrow a centerfire rifle, go hunting, THEN go back and take yer time. Get it right. Our BP traditions demand that. The elk DESERVE that. There's a bigger picture here than you and yours.
I'll get off my soapbox now.

Well made a new ramrod with the help of ron vaughn and I am using a range rod.Got a nice 4x4 mulie buck a couple of evenings back and hit it from 250 yards with a lee maxi and 110 grains of 777.It dropped him instantly taking out a lung and his heart.The bullet drop wasnt but about 8 inches.The problem with the ramrod breaking was the bullet mold I was using was some homemade thing and being a three bullet mold none were the same diameter.I replaced it with a lee mold and problem solved.I dodnt know if the problem with misfires have been solved on the day rifle.I have been packing powder under the nipple after every shot.Since rifle season started I havent taken a day off and dont want to take any chances of the gun not fireing.I was going to put it away till the elk hunt next week and use the cva hawken for filling my whitetail b tag but it turns out the mainspring is to week to fire the gun consistently so I am now going to find a replacement lock for it.Does anybody know if the lock l and r sells will fit it.Mine is a usa made one,thanks.

First off, what the h*** are you thinking shooting at deer at that range? We don't need any more bad press for the anti's. Secondly, you sound like you are just bound and determined not to listen to advise, so why ask for it? That gun Was not designed to shoot those kinds of loads, and eventually something is going to come apart on it. I just hope when it does that some innocent person isn't standing next to you.

Since it looks like you are going to shoot that kind of load and distance no matter what, I'll make you a deal...
Before you ruin that swivel barrel, send it to me and I'll trade you 2 modern type muzzleloading rifles that can handle magnum loads. Just the saved medical expenses alone could be worth doing the trade for you.
I've always admired those swivel rifles anyway.

PT me if you're interested. I'm serious.

Back