• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

November Muzzleloader Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not subscribe to the load fresh everyday theory. Provided you haven't dunked your rifle in a creek or been in a driving rain all day, it should be fine.

My flinter was loaded the end of December 2015 and took this buck with that load November 13, 2016.
3iybH7.jpg

I do lube with mink oil and store with the muzzle down, and round toothpick in the touch hole to keep the charge sealed. The rifle was reloaded after taking the buck and not cleaned for a week with absolutely no evidence of corrosion. That isn't my normal routine, but just how things worked out.

You put wax on the part of the nipple that isn't exposed to the open air? Inside the gun? And when the cap goes off it will just blow through the wax and ignite the powder? That seems like the way to go. I think I'm just going to put a balloon on the barrel. And then put a pencil eraser on the nipple without the cap on. So I have to pull the hammer back, pull the eraser off, then put a cap on, then it will be ready to fire. A little bit of a process, but it will keep the moisture out. (this is if it is raining or snowing) if it isn't then I will just leave everything alone I think. And probably every couple of hours I will tamp the maxi-ball just to make sure it is seated.

When I worry about moisture, after I cap my gun I put a small dab of clear nail polish on the nipple at its base around the nipple. Just a small dab.
I do not advocate swiping your wife's good Seche Vite. Get your own.

I do not advocate swiping your wife's good Seche Vite. Get your own. [/quote]

"voice of experience"? LOL

Walgreens .99 bottle works just as good :thumbsup:

azmntman said:
I do not advocate swiping your wife's good Seche Vite. Get your own.

"voice of experience"? LOL

Walgreens .99 bottle works just as good :thumbsup: [/quote]

No, imagining a man getting into my stuff and finding my most expensive top coat is missing, then transferring that idea to another woman's house and her thinking I gave her man such a plan.

Back