• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

novice build along -started

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I can save you from making the Rookie Builder mistake I made.
Once you get it bent and inletted pretty close, you will want to file the tang flush with the wood.
CLAMP THE TANG BEFORE YOU FILE, I did not and as I filed it it would spring back up, I filed it too thin before I realized it and had to shoe it.

John,
to bend the tang place it upside down over the jaws of your vice, so it is supported on both ends, and tap the middle with the peen side of a straight-peen blacksmiths hammer, if you can get ahold of one. Go slowly, taking care to strike straight so as not to twist the tang. If you bend it to far, flip it right-side-up, place it on the little anvil on your vice, and and hit it with the flat side of the hammer to straighten it up again. You will probably want someone to hold the muzzle of the barrel while you work, and to pad the edges of you vice a little so you don't mar the barrel. Incidently, it is a good idea to leave it the end about 1/32" or so above the stock and file down flush with the wood - you will inevitably want to file it anyway, and it saves the hassle of trying to bend it exactly the right curve.

It is easier to clamp the tang in the vise and pull on the barrel to bend it. If done before filing, any damage will be removed. If not, pad the metal jaws with leather. May take a few tries to get the bend exactly where you want it.

Black Hand said:
It is easier to clamp the tang in the vise and pull on the barrel to bend it. If done before filing, any damage will be removed. If not, pad the metal jaws with leather. May take a few tries to get the bend exactly where you want it.
That's the best way to bend a tang. :bow:
Maybe it's the angle of the picture.
But that barrel still looks to high to me.
When he bends that tang. the barrel is going to slide forward.
Because the angle of the tang in relation to the stock is going to change.
Is this a Chambers kit?

Back