• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

novice deerhunter querys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smell is very important for Whitetails.. It's their #1 sense.

For Muley's it's those big mule ears. They can hear the slightest sound farther than we can see them. It's their #1 sense.

So....shhhhhhhh.....be quiet.....

hey capper ive never had a opportunity to hunt the muleys but maybe some day! i can be as quiet as a cigar store indian! so if i get the chance i wont be scarin em off! by the way my schedule is pretty open in the winter! hint

oh nothin, just thought someone of your advanced age and mental dEFFIENCY might need some help draggin one of them old critters outa the woods this year now i know yer stubborn but a little help never hurt :rotf:

The thing I have taught my family is to hunt with your senses.And keeping as sent free as possible
Feel the ground through your shoes ,hear the area around you and see with your peripheral vision and always move into the wind slow enough for all these things to work together at one time.As for the noise of cocking the gun or bring the gun up. We always try to move when the animal is moving or eating or some other noise either the animal makes or other wildlife or even the wind or trees them selves or even cars and trucks going by.This almost always give enough distraction for the animal not to hear what is going on or at the very least pinpoint your location.
We also hunt in areas with high predator populations,so if we are intending to hunt in a area more than once we choose to not gut in that location. If you choose to we have found that even if 1 or 2 gut piles are gone in a 8-12hr or so period of time the game avoids these areas but the predators linger for 2 or 3 days waiting for the free meals. Just some of what we have learned over the years.Good luck :wink: and Welcome :thumbsup:

Well it sounds like you are off to a good start with those questions. In reading the following posts there was a lot of really well thought out and seasoned advice. Many on this board have forgotten than I could ever to pretend to ever know. That being said: If it were me I would field dress the deer there. It not only helps keep harmful bacteria at bay but it lightens the load in hauling out the meat. If your are in Mr. Bear territory be a bit mindful because you are now a travelling deli.

As to your hunting tactics it was good to hear your idea of not sitting in a tree stand. In my opinion and this is my opinion alone sitting in a stand isn't very sporting. I'd rather go out and stalk my deer. It just makes me feel better about what I'm doing. Call me an idealist I dunno? I have my own convictions and reasons and feel that's the better way to go. There has been many a time that I have gotten within an easy 20' feet of a herd of deer and when they realized I was there didn't quite know what to make of me until they scattered after some time. Other times I have had deer come running down a trail and stop dead in front of me sitting under the shade of an apple tree. They seem to be like people, some smart others not so smart........

Much of tracking and hunting deer is trial and error. Either way along the path it's a great experience. On the off season get out and practice tracking and stalking deer. Learn their habits and trails. Go find a spot where you know they tend to congregate and observe them and watch their reactions. You'll learn a lot in short order. Don't get dissapointed if you aren't the great hunter of your region over night. Enjoy it for what it is and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Be safe out there!

Back