• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

novice deerhunter querys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thought - hunt squirrels. If you can wait out or stalk up on a squirrel and shoot well enough to hit it (and in a spot so that you have meat left) you will be ready for deer. It just may require you to spend some time finding that right one. ;-)

How's this for camo?

HPIM0386a.jpg

What the deer likely sees (slightly blueshifted B&W):

HPIM0386a-1.jpg

I don't think so Stump. They'll see as a pale yellow along with the foliage. It will blend right in.

Its not necessarily about camo, but about hiding your shining face and hands, especially while in a blind. Deer will pick up that shadow, no shadow, and shadow again, real easy. Thats why I dropped the hip quiver years ago. I saw a guy creeping about the woods one day on public lands, he had a hip quiver, I thought it looked as if he was waving an orange flag back and forth, dumped mine that same day. Of course, this is my mode of operation and self confirmed opinion. :grin:

The latest science says, blue is the only color you have to worry about, and not washing your clothes in detergents with UV enhancers. Course, that may change tomorrow, like coffee, its good, its bad, its good, its bad :youcrazy: . I don't wear camo, movement more than color will give you away.

i wopuld keep it simple and one thing is to forget the vcamo and scent sand all that stuff we hunted with god success in the early 60's before the manufactures decided all that stuff was needed, move slow if stil hunting and look for horizontal shapes in the woods a basic non natural unless a Deer usually, you will get a lot of commemnts here and will need top sort the wheat from the chaff, good luck I hope you get a nice Deer when you get out.PS don't worry about the Deer spooking at the shiney brass, it bothers hunters more than Deer, generaly there is a trend to make the whole thing a lot more complicated than it is, particularly with a ML.

Human feces will move them to the next county. My brother "borrowed" one of my natural blinds a couple of seasons ago. He left beef jerky and other trash stuck in the limbs of it. Ruined its location, he thought it was funny. He is a big time shooting house hunter. Guess what I done inside two of his shooting houses...thats right. He didn't think it was funny anymore. :grin:

NOPE.. deer are color blind. It shows up as a pale yellow..if ya can get the "camo blaze orange" it's even better..Where I hunt in Ohio the deer are REALLY spooky. We take ALL the precautions we can get here. You might only see 3-4 deer a day..coupled with the fact that those deer may be way outa range. Scent control and stayin' out of sight are the things I concentrate on. During bow season I pay even MORE attention to it. In Ohio we have a fairly short BP season. Hence forth, I bow hunt way more than I gun hunt. Over they years I noticed I was alot more successful at bow hunting than gun hunting..so I simply applied the same tactics of hunting with the bow, to gun hunting. It has worked out great for me.I normally take 4-6 deer a year.

Skylinewatcher said:
Guess what I done inside two of his shooting houses...thats right. He didn't think it was funny anymore. :grin:
:rotf: :rotf:
How you like them apples? ... Apples from yesterday, that is!!!
:rotf: :rotf:

4 to 6 deer per year? And you only can see 3 to 4 a day? Wouldn't all that harvesting perhaps be a cause why deer are hard to come by and spooky?

AHHH..that COULD be true...IF I hunted the same spot all the time.I have about 5 spots I hunt, about 20 miles apart from each other and in different counties( can't let em get used to ya being in the same stand day after day). I alternate them during bow season. During shotgun and muzzloading I hunt only certain spots. I honestly believe it's just their nature.

The biggest deer I ever killed fell in an unpicked corn field. Leavign a big gut pile for the farmer's harvester to run through would have been wrong, so I had to drag the whole deer out of the corn.

I'd suggest you spend as much time in the woods as possible between now and hunting season. Shooting groundhogs is a good way to get some experience. Squirrel hunting is not as good as you might think, because you spend so much time looking upward, instead of paying attention to what's happening where the deer live.

I laughed so hard it hurt at the image of that. Jumping out with some huge cannon of a rifle and blasting deer. :rotf:

Mike Brines said:
Where did he go, George?? :rotf:
I think it has been proven that deer can see blaze orange.

Sure, they see it. As a neutral gray (I believe).

009_07.jpg

I don't worry much about blaze orange. This deer was about 10 yards away when I fired. Next day I repeated it at about 15 yards.

The first (and last) time I hunted with a bolt-action rifle. Yep. Works. Don't see the big advantage. ;-) Many times I have had deer that close when I was wearing blaze orange ankle to top-knot. Motion alarms them, smell spooks them, orange doesn't seem to bother them if it's not moving.

my 2 cents are that the main reason some people never harvest deer are three very simple things, movement, sound ,and smell! the very basics if your movin around too much it will see you , if your makin noise ,it will hear you! ive taken plenty of deer just leanin against a tree like a cigar store indian! the most over looked problem is smell!during season i keep my hunting clothes hanging outside on the porch to keep them aired out, only wash them in plain water! if you live in an area that has a lot of cedar, rub your duds down with cedar if your in pines,pine needles etc,etc the natural smells where you are hunting. a lot of the stuff in cabellas and other sporting stores are not exactly natural to the particular area you are hunting , the deer are very wary to unnatural smells! and of course the obvious, hunting with the breeze in your face!if you are baiting, use the natural foodsthat deer in your area eat! i usually gather acorns from the red oaks and keep them dry inside the cabin until a few rains have came and when the ones on the ground have soured i will spread them under a red oak tree and wait for the magic! also we have a lot of wild plums so i put some in the freezer to keep until season and throw them under the plum bushes, a deer is a very natural critter by nature :rotf: and whats natural to them seems to work best for me mike

Back