• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Numrich Action any good??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a chance to get an underhammer rifle built on a Numrich Action..Any comments on the action good,bad,ugly??

I believe your looking at and H & A Underhammer action. I like them if it is. I'm surprised Numrich has any. They've been out for a while.

Great gun for the money! If you happen to be or shoot left handed you will be a happy camper. They have not built any of the underhammer guns for a long time, however they can be found used. Probably the most common version was in .45 caliber. Do a search here and you will find even more about the underhammer guns. A real low cost fun and accurate gun.

i have 3 h&a underhammers my offhand rifle has never given me a problem in the 15 years i have been using it. all of mine are .45. one may get my .40 cal hoyt barrel on it.

Numrich purchassed the end supplies and stock of several manufacturers over the years. In some cases, they continued to make the guns and sell them. The H & A underhammer was one of them. I still have the bench gun they sold. Darn Good gun. Also had a 58 cal model, which I wish I had never sold. They are good guns, just not the usual thing seen at offhand matches and most shoots. I must say, I have read complaints about all manner of guns and manufacturers, except for the H&A/Numrich underhammer actionn.

I've owned an H&A Heritage model underhammer (.45) for about 45 years and it is still just as accurate as it was when I got it. There's not much that can go wrong with them; the forearm on mine did split and fall off but I fixed it with a little glue. Mine has taken deer, bobcats and squirrels and is not for sale.

The only thing I've heard about these rifles is the nipple on some of them is a weird thread size.

Rather than a 1/4-28 thread (.250-28UNF) the nipple on some of them is a .245-28.

If the nipple needs replacing and it is a .245-28 it is possible to rethread the hole to the standard 1/4-28 thread by buying a tap.

If this is done the owner must be very careful to start the tap using finger pressure only to make sure the tap is not cross-threaded.

If the tap starts easily and the tapered portion runs in using finger pressure only then the tap can be driven in with a tap wrench using a suitable Thread Cutting Oil.

That they are but the original that came with my rifle is still fine. I also found another that fit in my parts box. Where it came from I have no clue.

Zonie said:
The only thing I've heard about these rifles is the nipple on some of them is a weird thread size.

The threaded part was longer too.

Tinker2

Back