• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NY License

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit03

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This is for all yall up in NY. How much will I have to pay for an out of state NY license to hunt black bear with Black Powder. I plan to hunt the Adirondacks (SP)this coming fall. Any info would be appreciated, thanks,

rabbit03

hey Rabbit03, well, now ya got me going! Depending on when you are going to hunt is how much it's going to cost you.... close as I can figure anyway...I'll give it a shot,AND take into consideration that you CAN use a ml during regular bear season. cost ya $110 for a non resident big game license...which if you hunt the right time ( oct 23 - dec 5) will give you a buck tag too. and $30 for non resident bear tag ( last years bear season was oct 1 -oct 15... oct. 23 -dec 5) NOW, if you want to hunt early bear w/ ml. I think it's another $110 for the week (oct 16- oct22) let me know if ya understand that..I'm not sure I do...RC (these dates were for 05!)

ya can git the sportsman lic fer 250.00 + bear fer the extra money and have all the seasons covered..............bob

Thanks so far to all I appreciate the info and the site too. I plan to hunt I thought they said (the folks I am hunting with) that they go in September but I could be mistaken or the dates may have changed also. I may opt to get a full license and just stay for a bit longer to deer hunt too! Maybe I can dig around and find an old NY State Permit and use it too huh? :nono:

Well thanks again and I am getting excited about coming up and hunting this fall. I am fixin to build a suitable rifle for the trip too. The Jim Bridger Hawken Kit from TOTW in .58 should be here on Monday and I am sure to make her shoot real well before the trip to NY.

Yall think the .58 will be big enough for a black bear? :hmm:

rabbit03

hey rabbit03,, the n.y. license year runs from cot 1 to sept 30....they have an early bear season,think it starts sept.18th or right around there..so you'd have to buy an '05-06 license then after oct. 1 you'd need a '06-'07 license...just so ya know....RC

Thanks RC sounds familiar to me, having to pay twice for the privelege, LOL. Oh well it will be an adventure and one heck of a time anyway no matter, thanks

rabbit03

I hope that you know someone that can put you in a good area. I've tried hunting black bears in the Adirondaks a few times with zero success at even seeing one during the open season. I have been traveling to Canada for the last three years, instead, to hunt bears. Up there, I have seen bears almost every day that I hunted & have taken two bears in the three years.
You asked about .58 being sufficient. I took my first black bear with a .54 T/C Renegade flinter. The ball went completely through & put the bear down within seconds.

Good luck on your hunt!

Hey Bald Mtn Man how are you weathering the cold? Mom lives about an hour north of you and I know it is cooooooold!

Yeah I asked wheather or not the .58 would be enugh with tounge in cheek cause I know it will kick most anything around in North America.

I have friends (famiy) that live near the Adirondaks and they said they get bear each year so I guess they are in a good spot. I too have gone up there twice before and like you had no luck so hopefully this next time will be fruitfull.

The JIm Bridger that is coming tomorrow from TRACK is going to be lots of fun to put together and I hope I can replicate the look similar to the one on their website. I ordered a fancy stock with the intention of handing the rifle down one day. Can you tell I am excited about it? Thanks for the info

rabbit03

rabbit03 said:
This is for all yall up in NY. How much will I have to pay for an out of state NY license to hunt black bear with Black Powder. I plan to hunt the Adirondacks (SP)this coming fall. Any info would be appreciated, thanks,

rabbit03
This web page should help http://www.dec.state.ny.us/ scroll to the bottom and click on hunting. I have taken 2 blacks over the years the first with a 50 cal roundball with one shot. Your 58 should be more than enough.

Hey White Buff greetings. I have talked to the guys in NY that I will be hunting with and they said that they are going in mid Sept. That will make me have to buy this years lisc for those last two weeks and then another lisc for hunitng after Sept. How do you like that! :bull:

Oh well it will be good to get back up there and be in the woods and that is what really matters. Thanks for the input

rabbit03

HI Bill I was curious to find out where you hit both of them to drop them? I talked to my guys in NY and they said the same thing. One told me that he hit it right between the shoulder blades and he never moved. Appreciate the web address,

rabbit03

The first bear I took was pure luck he walked right by me less than 20 feet away. By the time I quit shaking and worked up enough courage to shoot he was 30 yards away and headed up hill. I had a .490-patched ball and 100 grains of 2F. I hit him in the ribs on the left side and the ball went half way through his front shoulder bone on the right side and he rolled down the hill. By the time I reloaded (it took longer because I was still shaking) he was dead. The second bear was planned. I was using a Layman # 508668 bullet that is about 390 grains also with 100 grains of 2F. I shot this one at about 50 yards. It passed through both lungs and exited on the far side. The bear ran a few hundred yards and went down. I did put a second shot in its neck. Both were in the 250 to 300 pound range although having to drag the first one up the hill I would swear he had to be 2000 pounds by the time I got to the top. I have since passed up 3 others that I felt the shot was not right. As with any hunting if they are too far or not just right I pass rather than shoot. I enjoy being out in the woods and do not have to take game every time to have fun. Good luck and may all your hunts be safe. Bill

Latest posts

Back