• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Offhand Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are some techniques you all use to increase your offhand accuracy that can be done without shooting? My rifle is balanced about 1/3 of the way up the barrel so if I tuck my arm in tight into my chest, it is front heavy and I'm not as accurate as when I hold it on the balance point. I've thought of just practicing holding the rifle on a spot on the wall or even tying a little weight on the center point to make the rifle slightly heavier as a little "workout" to improve muscle strength.
I find that there are several things needed for off hand accuracy 1- concentrating on the front site insuring that it doesn’t move off the target. 2-Aim at a small target. “Aim small miss small”. 3-A good trigger. If you have a heavy /creeping trigger you will flinch every time. 4-Fast Lock time. 5-Rifle weight forward just a little. 6- Breathing control. 7-muscle memory/control. 8-Practice, Practice, Practice. Hope this helps, good luck!!!

I find that there are several things needed for off hand accuracy 1- concentrating on the front site insuring that it doesn’t move off the target. 2-Aim at a small target. “Aim small miss small”. 3-A good trigger. If you have a heavy /creeping trigger you will flinch every time. 4-Fast Lock time. 5-Rifle weight forward just a little. 6- Breathing control. 7-muscle memory/control. 8-Practice, Practice, Practice. Hope this helps, good luck!!!
People are different? One size doesn't fit all. Each person needs to choose a rifle that they are comfortable with first. I found that once you reach that Ah Ha, moment its a piece of cake from then on. Don't complicate it. sometimes we have to much information and instead of helping you are hurting yourself. Its like using salt instead of sugar when you are making a cake? It doesn't work very well!

I never pass up the opportunity to use a rest. With my long rifle I truly miss shooting with a leather sling like I do with unmentionables. But sling swivels on it would be as ugly as lipstick on a hog. And those slip on fabric slings won't give you the sought after stability.
Lip stick.jpg

Back