• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Offhand Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are some techniques you all use to increase your offhand accuracy that can be done without shooting? My rifle is balanced about 1/3 of the way up the barrel so if I tuck my arm in tight into my chest, it is front heavy and I'm not as accurate as when I hold it on the balance point. I've thought of just practicing holding the rifle on a spot on the wall or even tying a little weight on the center point to make the rifle slightly heavier as a little "workout" to improve muscle strength.
I find that there are several things needed for off hand accuracy 1- concentrating on the front site insuring that it doesn’t move off the target. 2-Aim at a small target. “Aim small miss small”. 3-A good trigger. If you have a heavy /creeping trigger you will flinch every time. 4-Fast Lock time. 5-Rifle weight forward just a little. 6- Breathing control. 7-muscle memory/control. 8-Practice, Practice, Practice. Hope this helps, good luck!!!

I find that there are several things needed for off hand accuracy 1- concentrating on the front site insuring that it doesn’t move off the target. 2-Aim at a small target. “Aim small miss small”. 3-A good trigger. If you have a heavy /creeping trigger you will flinch every time. 4-Fast Lock time. 5-Rifle weight forward just a little. 6- Breathing control. 7-muscle memory/control. 8-Practice, Practice, Practice. Hope this helps, good luck!!!
People are different? One size doesn't fit all. Each person needs to choose a rifle that they are comfortable with first. I found that once you reach that Ah Ha, moment its a piece of cake from then on. Don't complicate it. sometimes we have to much information and instead of helping you are hurting yourself. Its like using salt instead of sugar when you are making a cake? It doesn't work very well!

I never pass up the opportunity to use a rest. With my long rifle I truly miss shooting with a leather sling like I do with unmentionables. But sling swivels on it would be as ugly as lipstick on a hog. And those slip on fabric slings won't give you the sought after stability.
Lip stick.jpg

When Agent Orange started affecting me in 2008, I developed a lot of tremor in my right hand. About the only way I could come near a target was to use shot bags.
About a year ago, my VA neurologist got me a device called a Cala-CLQ, pronounced "Cala-click". It is a device that goes on your wrist like a bracelet.
The first time you use it, it reads the neuron activity from the brain to your hand via small sensors in the bracelet. Then you can set it to tremor task, and it sort of plays an opposite "tune". Gives you very small electric impulses that "counter" the bad brain waves. It does this for 40 minutes of treatment.
The result, for me, has been a very steady hand - no more hand tremor. The period that the effect lasts varies (for me) from 3-8 days, then I repeat the treatment.
I found that you can vary the milli-amps from about 2 up to 4+ - but got to let you know that you REALLY feel it at about 3.00!
The good part of it, for me, is that I am "combat-injured", so all my med stuff is free - because the danged bracelet, with replacement bands for a year, is $17,000! And you do have to replace the bracelet part every 3 months, bracelets provided.
So, if you are covered by the VA and have hand tremors, talk to your neurologist - very much worth it. My standing target shooting is back to my teenage scores with my 1863 Springfield .58 cal musket and the NSSA shoots around the DC area, 1959-62.

You follow the doctors orders and heal yourself. Life is to short to waste a minute of it!
I'm fortunate to have not had any AO contact but flew over many treated areas and saw the devastation. A way undercounted casualty stat.

Back