• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio 2013-2014 Deer Gun & Muzzleloading changes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the serious archery guys are not happy about this, as I understand it their concern is that an early anterless muzzleloading season will put too much pressure on the deer and the big bucks, along with the rest of the herd, will go nocturnal. I don't know if they will be able to bring enough pressure to bear on ODNR to nix the season, but I expect we will find out soon.

With my luck I'll have the biggest bucks in the state doing a dance in front of me come October 12 if this season is approved, and the does will be in hiding.

I did think of another concern regarding this proposed season, the weather may be very warm, too warm to hang a deer, leaving me, at least, with the option of immediately processing it, taking it to a commercial place, or maybe trying to quarter it and buy a cheap used frig for the garage or basement and hang the quarters in the frig.

Well, I am a serious archery guy. At first I was a little disappointed to see the change in the season. Then I got to thinking more about the change in the gun season and the elimination of the 2nd gun weekend. The whole month of Nov. and early part of Dec., gets to be a zoo! Between youth hunts and gun seasons, the deer are in constant turmoil and archery hunting gets tough. I feel this may relax the herd to a degree and may make it for better hunting for everyone. At least that is my hope.

I think extending the hours makes sense, and I do think ODNR does a decent job balancing the interests of the various groups. I wish Ohio had a primitive only season (traditional ML and traditional bows), not likely in my lifetime due to lack of interest.

I am serious Archery guy as well...I don't mind the early season for M'lers,with the exception of the anterless only clause. The herd around my area is fairly thin..and this will do nothing to help the situation. I think I'd rather had a "Antler" only clause..but thats just me.

There will more than likely be less deer taken in the early muzzleloader season than during the extra gun weekend. Fewer people have muzzleloaders. Will be less gun hunters in the woods. DANNY

will5a1 said:
Some are speculating that in a year or two this early MZ loading will turn into an either sex early MZ season, like Kentucky's.
I hope this is the case. Im fortunate to have several hunting spots and about 10 tree stands in about 4 different counties, So I normally see bucks. As for the early M'loading season affecting the Archery season...it's possible, due the fact it is so close to the rut.

The Ohio Wildlife Council approved the proposed season dates/changes for 2013-2014, along with the changes eliminating the zones and setting limits by county. I think I am going to do some selective cutting of honeysuckle and other brush on my property and another place where I normally hunt, everything will still be in leaf in mid-October vs. the December or January seasons I am used to.

Danny - They (ODNR) expect the inline crowd to make the bulk of the harvest during the early season; and around me (SW Ohio) there are a bunch of inline shooters, I'd guess that they outnumber those of use shooting sidelocks 10 to 1 if not more.

I sure would like to see them come up with a primitive weapons season that was actually for primitive weapons. Still I am happy to see the early weekend. It will give me another chance to put meat in the freezer.

I'd also like a true primitive season, no bows with wheels and sidelock guns only, but ODNR needs harvest numbers, and the few of us shooting traditional muzzleloaders and even fewer using traditional bows don't justify our own season in ODNR's eyes.

I do think this is going to have some more folks buying the cheap inlines from the big box stores. I think I might use the new season as an excuse to buy a smoothbore trade gun, since if I see any does they are going to be close given everything will still be in leaf and I won't need the rifle range. Even if I don't see any does leaning a smoothbore will be fun.

I doubt it's harvest numbers they're looking for..I'd think it's rather than the number of tags and licenses they can sell or how to entice the "new group"...IF they thought it generate more money, they would make a primitive season only, but it's all about the money. .I have asked the question about a "primitive season only" to several officials, several different times...always the same response, "we'll look into that and get back with you".

S.kenton,
That sounds like the response I always get when I ask about working on the grouse & quail population here in SE Ohio, both used to have fairly high numbers at one time. Not as much of a money maker as Deer & Turkey I guess.

Tommy Bruce said:
S.kenton,
That sounds like the response I always get when I ask about working on the grouse & quail population here in SE Ohio, both used to have fairly high numbers at one time. Not as much of a money maker as Deer & Turkey I guess.
I believe they have a certain protocol they follow when asked about thinking "outside the box"...lol
NOW.. don't get me wrong, I think the ODNR does a fine job.If it weren't for their conservation and preservation efforts way back when...who knows if we'd even be hunting any deer at all.I guess I didn't want to sound like a Jackwagon and be totally negative.

New/additional proposed changes:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/NewsReleaseArchives/tabid/19075/EntryId/3240/Adjustments-Proposed-to-Ohio-Deer-Hunting-Opportunities-for-2013-2014-Season.aspx

As I read it, if passed by the wildlife council in June, will add two days of any legal gun to hunt with to the statewide muzzleloader season in January.

I read your link and I believe your right, this is the first I've heard of this.. I think they are REALLY going to confuse ppl and this new change will really mess up the M'ler season as we know it. I don't agree with adding the extra 2 days of gun season in with the M'ler season...

Back