• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio 2013-2014 Deer Gun & Muzzleloading changes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think enough dedicated shotgun hunters presented their case - loss of the "bonus" gun season having a negative impact on their hunting opportunities, so ODNR proposes a compromise that will keep the shotgun hunters happy and minimize the opposition from everyone else, especially the bow hunters.

As I recall we have had 4 days for the late muzzleloader season in recent years, usually starting the first weekend in January and running through the following Tuesday. This starts the season on Friday and gives us a combo season of five days, any legal gun first 2 days, muzzleloader only last 3 days; I didn't like the idea of this proposal when I first read it, having to share the woods with a lot of shotgun guys, even for the first two days of the late season, but many won't be able to get off work for the first day, and that Saturday a bunch will be in the woods. I don't know, trying to look on it in a positive light it gives me another day to make meat.

S. Kenton, on the whole I have to agree with you I think they do a good job with the resources they have but with the turkey population exploding and the deer population ample, I'd sure like to see them focus on birds of another feather so to speak.

I don't understand the extra gun season either. Oh well at least I'll get an early chance to make meat this fall. Freezer is looking pretty bare.

Season dates have been finalized and published, looks like the additional/bonus day or two tacked onto January MZ season was not approved:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/NewsReleaseArchives/tabid/19075/EntryId/3257/2013-2014-Ohio-Hunting-and-Trapping-Season-Dates-Announced.aspx

Check out the weapon choice for mississippi deer hunters. you can hunt with single shot center fire rifles like 45-70,444,35 etc. next year its wide open you can hunt with what ever you want to on private lands. and you get 3 1/2 months to do it. if the bag limit stays the same the first two weeks are doe only then the rest of the season its 3 bucks and 3 does and 2 extra with bow. when we start bow season on the first of oct. its hot so you got to have a bunch of ice and coolers ready. I wish we could have a real primitive only season but its not going to happen. I think most hunters have got so lazy that the chore of cleaning a blackpowder rifle is just to much and using a center fire is just so easy that it turns them away from the traditional way of hunting with a black powder weapon.

Latest posts

Back