• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio may be changing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave K

58 Cal.
Reaction score
At a recent gun club meeting, the game warden came as usual to keep us updated on the past, present and future changes in the laws. He informed us that it is not law yet, but the state wants to change our Ml'er season to Jan.9-12, in 2009. I think it is a shame, to not be able to Ml'er hunt during the Christmas break that many people have and it will also probably be colder at that time. Another thing is the bucks have been starting to shed, by I know for fact, by Jan. 2. So I would want to be careful of not taking a buck that already dropped his rack, by thinking I was taking a doe.

Dave K said:
So I would want to be careful of not taking a buck that already dropped his rack, by thinking I was taking a doe.

That's insane, how would you know the difference between them?

(I say that because Ohio has some really large doe)

No wild deer is going to let you get close enough to inspect it's underside before shooting it.

Ohio law distinguishes between antlered and antlerless, not necessarily between buck and doe. So, if it does happen to be a buck that dropped it's antlers in early January, you are covered.

I think they are trying to spread the seasons out a little bit so that people don't get burned out, especially now that there is that extra gun weekend in mid-December.

Dave K said:
change our Ml'er season to Jan.9-12, in 2009.

To clarify, that would be Jan. 9-12, 2010. Jan. 12, 2009 has already snuck by.
I like the Dec. 27-30 season. It has proven to be an enjoyable time for a number of years. I remember the ML season used to start on Dec. 26, but that was too close to Christmas day for travel, families shopping, and all that. Jan.9-12 just doesn't have anything to recommend itself for deer hunting.

It's great to comment here, but if you really want to be heard, make it to one of the hearings that will be held around the state to discuss changes to Ohio's regs. If you can't make it to one of the hearings, send comments in writing to your local Division of Wildlife district office.

Trent, sorry I have errored on the date. :grin: Yes, you do need to contact the state game fathers. That is the reason I posted here, so Ohio hunters may have a chance to make those comments. I made mine already.

Here's more info:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/NewsReleaseArchives/tabid/19075/EntryID/880/Default.aspx

If they really wanted to do something to help us out, they'd keep it the same and give the guys that hunt traditional a week in October (NO inline zip guns). We have an early season in a couple of select state parks why not just open it up.

One of my concerns and this will not fit everyone. Is being this late in the season. Many of the bucks will be losing racks. I just would HATE to take a deer, thinking it was a doe and found out it was a nice buck that had lost his rack. Sure I can tell the difference, but one must be cautious if they are looking to take a doe only. This is just me and not everyone will share this concern and that is ok. I will not take button bucks or immature bucks. If the state is concerned with dropping the deer population, the need should be to take more does.

I just can't see where this benefits anyone. What about kids who hunt during Christmas break? So much for promoting our hunting heritage.

Well, that was my whole thought when I posted it. Many of the factories(that are left) shut down between the holidays. The kids are out of school. The college ones are home. It is a good time to all get together and hunt, because the season is in. I guess though, I can bowhunt, which I really enjoy also. But we are also just keeping the deer stressed out starting with the youth hunt and now the late ML'er hunt. It is virtually 6 weeks of up and down pressure. If Ohio is really wanting to get the herd down, they would have this season while people are off of work. I am sure many cannot take off any more work in Jan., since many have taken off during the regular gun season.

Here in PA you can use the ML's in any rifle season. You can hunt doe only in the early ML season with any type ML. The late season is flintlock, rifle or smoothbore, only and it runs from Dec 26 through two whole full weeks ending the second full week saturday. Unless they change it in the future. Check out the regs @ http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/

Back