• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

oiled leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wondering what people are using to oil leather. I have a belt I am finishing and don't really want to dye it. I would just like to oil it (to darken it up and to give it a nice finish). Any suggestions? :hmm:

arcticap said:
neatsfoot
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/249762/[/quote][/url]

Ditto...

Most drugstores and shoe shops carry it in 6-8oz bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were 18th and 19th century leather belts usually dyed? I know walnut dye was used for all sorts of things, what about on heavy leather?

Were 18th and 19th century leather belts usually dyed?
That'sa pretty broad time period for a simple answer - as most things it depends on: time, place, civilian or military, social class, etc.

As for leather dyes: walnut dye was not the only dye! several other plant and mineral based dyes were used: Alder and pine bark for reddish brown, vinegaroon (vinegar and iron) and logwood were used for black, cochineal for red, the various ochers for reds and yellows - there are more....
Along with dyes: colored oils and varnishes were also used to color leather.

Right, that is pretty broad. :redface: Let me narrow it down to the western fur trade.

Assuming we're talking about oak tan leather, which is correct to the period; a little neetfoot goes a long way. It can also make leather greasy, and let it stretch, maybe more than you want. I've found saddle soap to be real good at darkening leather without giving it a greasy feel, or getting it baggy.
My process usually is this: finish the article, saddle soap, especially the edges. Let it dry and evaluate the the color. Dye if necessary. Burnish the edges, then add neetsfoot sparingly.
You can dye thru saddle soap, but any oil, tallow, beeswax, etc makes it almost impossible to dye.
One other thing: use pure neetsfoot, not neetsfoot compound.
Hope this helps,
Moose

Thanks. One more small question. Do I rub the saddle soap on dry (meaning no water on the rag) and just rub the paste into the leather? Or do I us a wet rag with the saddle soap (like I am cleaning a pair of boots) then wipe it off?

(And did that even make any sense) :confused:

I appreciate the advice

Neatsfoot oil really stinks like kerosene. I'd use a mixture of olive oil, bee's wax, and lard.

Saddle soap is for cleaning dirty leather and that's all.

I use the same stuff on my leather as I do my rifles.
Olive oil/beeswax mix.
Great stuff for waterproofing boots and bags.

HD

I wet a little shoe brush and rub in S-Soap, brush on, then wipe off. I use deer tallow,groundhog, on my leather,free. Dilly

Boar-dilly said:
I wet a little shoe brush and rub in S-Soap, brush on, then wipe off. I use deer tallow,groundhog, on my leather,free. Dilly

I use a piece of old towel and a bar of saddle soap. I work up a good lather, and work the leather. After several passes, I hang it up to dry with the foam on. Once dried, I buff it out and oil it with either neatsfoot oil or a paste of seasame oil and beeswax. Don't oil it too heavily or the leather will "grow" and loose it shape.

I learned to take care of leather working with horses. Saddles, bridles, shanks, halters and such.

CP

I forgot the dry part, at present have 9 saddles and not sure how many bridles. I use Lexol on the seats, as it don't come off on your pants. Only have Arab stud and mule now, When my Dad work in Big woods out west they bought logers boots,today would cost 150-200 dollars,They drilled a hole in arch vamp to let water out, then they greased them with skunk grease,he said in 10 mins it was in your socks and it kept boots from going bad,cracking ect . I have some skunk grease in frezzer, save it for chest rub ,have some bear too. Dilly

Mark Lewis said:
Neatsfoot oil really stinks like kerosene.

Mark, if your version of "neatsfoot oil" stinks like kerosene you are not using neatsfoot oil at all, you are using BAD neatsfoot oil compound and a cheap BAD compound at that. Let me guess, it is "Blue Ribbon" brand? That stuff has a very low neatsfoot oil content, just enough to legally mention neatsfoot oil on the label, and does smell like it is cut with gasoline or kerosene. A lot of CW sutlers used to sell it :cursing: and its pure junk that should be thrown in the trash. It is also found at farm supply, hardware and drug stores. :shake: Higher quality compound is cut with mineral oil and doesn't have that smell and while not good is at least usable. Use pure neatsfoot oil and you will not have that problem and there is nothing, I mean nothing, better for leather than pure neatsfoot oil.

All that being said, your combination of beeswax, lard and olive oil is probably almost as good and is very near to what was used in the old days and will probably do fine on leather but I would substitute cod oil only for the olive oil concoction as cod oil was and is used on leather AND was easier to come by in North America. But as has been suggested before, no matter what you use, don't over-do in the application.

Va.Manuf.06 said:
Mark Lewis said:
Neatsfoot oil really stinks like kerosene.

"...if your version of "neatsfoot oil" stinks like kerosene you are not using neatsfoot oil at all..."

Agree...an across the board, blanket statement like that is simply incorrect.

I've bought bottles of neatsfoot oil every few years since the 60's, from different sources in the different states that we've lived in, and they've all smelled just lke neetsfoot oil always smells...sure didn't smell like kerosene.
:thumbsup:

Your right about the neatsfoot,the last I bought at horse sale was the cheap grade. I went to using the groundhog oil as I hunt them and eat them,it stays oil,won't set up at room temp.I keep it in freezer till I need it. I was using it with beeswax 50-50 for lube,but now use deer tallow as it don't run in warm weather. Dilly

I use a length of denim rolled up into an applicator about 3" long by 1" diameter. I wet that and work up a good wet lather with the saddle soap and work the lather into the leather.
Let it dry and see if it's dark enough. If not, reapply.

I read an article in a magazine (muzzle blasts or muzzleloader I think) years ago about leather care. The "expert" was the curator of a CW museum and he said (if I recall correctly) never use neatsfoot oil on leather if you want your leather to last. Is this statement accurate???? I don't know. Just another opinion, could be pure BS. Just thought I'ld pass it along. Personally, I use bear grease/oil simply because it's free, I have lots, and it works great. Been useing it for 20 years or so, Dad's been useing it for about 40 years with no ill effects yet.

Cody

Latest posts

Back