• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

oiled leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's two types of Neatsfoot oil, one that's pure and animal-based, and one that's petroleum-based. I found this on the subject:

wikipedia said:
Neatsfoot oil is a yellow oil rendered and purified from the feet and shinbones (not the hooves) of cattle. It is used as a conditioning, softening and preservative for leather, and remains liquid down to a low temperature.

Neatsfoot oil is produced much less than it once was. Currently, the shins and feet of cattle are usually rendered along with the rest of the body. Also, many products sold as neatsfoot oil are actually diluted with petroleum oil, which is bad for leather.

The best quality neat's foot oil comes from the legs of calves. The fat in animals legs generally has a lower melting point than the body fat which means that it is more fluid and easier to use at lower temperatures which makes it more effective for treating leather.

The oil's name comes from an old term for animals of the genus Bos, especially cattle, which is retained in the phrase needsfire

CP

This is one saddle maker's partial statement:

[Butler explains that there are two types of Neatsfoot oil: one that's pure and animal-based, and one that's petroleum-based.
"Only use the pure Neatsfoot oil, the animal-based product," he advises. "Petroleum-based products are not kind to leather. They'll rot linen stitching."][url] http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0397tack.shtml[/url]

Here's a company that sells another type of leather dressing (Pecard Leather Dressing) and claims that it's used by museum conservators and is not made with harmful animal fats: [url] http://www.davidmorgan.com/leathercare.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there ya go. Clear as mud :grin:
"A full discussion of the conservation of antique military leather items, much of which applies to other leather artifacts, may be found in: Antique Leather and its Care, by Stephen Dorsey - the Gun Report, Volume 35 No. 10 March 1990. P.O. Box 38, Aledo, IL 61231."

This could very well be the article I had read. 1990 sounds about right and being in a gun publication. Personally, I think the virtues of Picards and the evils of neatsfoot presented are both somewhat exagerated. It is mentioned that neatsfoot oil, being derived from animal fat, goes rancid. Perhaps (but I doubt it). I don't know anything about the stuff. However, I DO know that going rancid is not a conclussion one can draw simply because something is derived from animal fat. I've been lead to believe that some rendered animal fats will go rancid. Perhaps, however bear grease/oil will not.

Cody

Good and useful links on neetsfoot oil and the Pecards company. I do have to say this about Pecards, it contains petroleum products and while used successfully by many people for a long time (myself included) I can find NO REPUTABLE museum that uses it in the preservation of historic items in their collections. I often hear it implied or adamantly stated that the Smithsonian uses it - :bull: - they do not. They may get away with making their statement here because there are small local historic societies without experienced conservators who use their product? Hey, its a museum... :winking: Let's face it, leather is dead skin that will last for a long time but will eventually decompose into dust unless it is carefully kept out of ultraviolet light and extremes of temperature along with wide swings of humidity - too much moisture and it will be attacked by mold and mildew, too little and leather will dry out and begin to crack, flake and disintegrate. For antique items, keep it in an atmosphere of constant humidity and out of sunlight or any other source of high ultraviolet light, wrapped in acid free paper.

However, being practical, the vast majority of us are not acquiring museum quality items for preservation, we are using our gear, be they shoes, belts, possibles bags, cartridge boxes, knife or sword scabbards, what have you. We want something that will keep them usable and in a condition where they will out last us so that we can get maximum use out of them ”“ most of the preparations listed in this thread will do just that so have at it, just don't overdo it, too much is often worse than not enough. For those that do collect antique leather items or may have possession of legitimate antiques, a perusal of the NPS Conserve O Gram site may be in order. It can be found at:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/cons_toc.html

There are all manner of articles detailing conservation practices used by the NPS in their extensive collections, including leather, firearms and Indian artifacts as well as historical clothing and some thoughts found here may be of help in our more mundane items.

Thanks to all for the advice. :thumbsup: I am out to find some Neatsfoot to try on a scrap to see if I like it.

By the way, I love this forum!

I have encountered saddles that have been in continuous use for over 50 years and the only products they had used on them were neetsfoot and saddle soap. They didn't look new,but the stitching was sound, and the leather looked as though it would go another 50 years.:)

The main factor for leather survival is a regular regime of care. Regular cleaning and oiling.

CP

neetsfoot oil breaks down the leather after a while so I went to mink oil or nor-v-gen shoe oil that I get...well... at the shoe store. about any good oil will work as long as its recomended for leather. read lots of good ideas hear though :hmm:

Latest posts

Back