• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ok, I'm dumb...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkid

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got my first rifle with a double set trigger, it's a Pedersoli Frontier. After fully cocking the hammer and pulling the set trigger, what is the proper way to un-cock the gun if I don't fire?

Also, my new rifle came with a dirty (blackened) bore, is this typical. I assumed that if Pedersoli proof fired it they would swab the bore?

Thanks for any help!

hold hammer back with thumb, pull front trigger and manually relax the hammer to the fired or the half cock position.

Hold the hammer with your thumb and pull the front trigger and slowly lower the hammer onto the nipple! The black gunk is most likely cosmoline or something similar to prevent the bore from rusting. That has to be completely removed before firing. I use alcohol! :thumbsup:

Simply hold the hammer with your thumb, pull the trigger, and then lower the hammer gently down.

I originally tried that but the hammer didn't lower. There was an audible click as the trigger released but the hammer stay at full cock. So I just tried it again and I found that if I put a very light forward pressure on the hammer it lowers. It this correct?

Thanks Again!

Does the seneca share the same lock as the old patriot pistols??

if so, the triggers are reversed, where as the front trigger is the set and the back is the "fire".

snuffer said:
I originally tried that but the hammer didn't lower. There was an audible click as the trigger released but the hammer stay at full cock. So I just tried it again and I found that if I put a very light forward pressure on the hammer it lowers. It this correct?

Thanks Again!

I've never experienced that pressing of the hammer bit before. However, if it fires properly after you've cleaned your barrel out with alcohol, don't worry about it. I'd shoot that puppy to death, as soon as possible, just to make sure it's alright. :hmm:

If it gets worse and you need to apply progressively greater pressure to the hammer, I'd send it back, ASAP! :shake:

PS.

Maybe you should give Pedersoli a call and email them about this right now just to make it official. :stir:

And put your receipt and paper work up somewhere so you can find it later. :thumbsup:

Good Luck! :hatsoff:

snuffer said:
It sounds like you may not be pulling/holding the front trigger far enough to keep the sear away from the tumbler, and the sear is catching on the back of the "fly". You have to hold the trigger just like you were shooting it with trigger unset and keep it held while you lower the hammer. If it is still capped, you have to lower the hammer past the half-cock position, then bring it back to half-cock, or the sear will just be sitting on the fly, rather than in the half-cock notch, and that "light push" could cause the hammer to drop and possibly fire the gun. My Frontier (flinter) had a rather stout "unset" trigger pull, until I did a bit of polishing on the trigger and sear bar.

Regards,
Joel

If your rifle has been set at full cock without having first set the double set trigger you should be able to pull the front trigger to release the hammer. You should not have to "push it" at all.

Getting to your original question, if a gun with a set trigger on it has been set at full cock and you want to lower the hammer to half-cock you MUST LOWER THE HAMMER TO A POSITION BELOW THE HALF COCK NOTCH LOCATION AND THEN BRING IT BACK UP TO THE HALF COCK POSITION.

I used CAPS there because this is very important.

If you lower the hammer from the full cock position DIRECTLY to the "half cock position" without first going below the half cock position, the sear may hang up on the fly giving the illusion that the half cock notch has been engaged. If this happens the hammer will stop but the slightest jar or bump of the gun will allow the hammer to drop to the fired position.

Joel, Wick, you guys were correct I just wasn't holding the front trigger back with enough pressure as I lowered the hammer. I told you I'm dumb.

Thanks!!!

The only dumb ones are those who don't ask a question when there is a concern. Safety starts with proper and complete knowledge.
Mark :thumbsup:

Listen to Papa. He's right. I always want to remind new, frustrated shooters of BP guns that there are lots of reasons these guns were superseded by cartridge guns, and more modern designs. One of the reasons is that the designs of these earlier guns left something to be desired.

It takes time to learn all the idiosyncrasies of these guns, and you just don't find any books you can read that tells you everything you need to know. This forum is the closest thing to a total information source on these guns- originals, and replicas-- that we have. Mostly, we learn each gun's peculiar likes by "trial and error".

WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT, TRYING TO ROW UPSTREAM. Stick with us. We can, and will help you. Then you can pay us forward by helping others. :hatsoff:

Nah, if you were dumb you would have taken the lock apart and started filing something down. :grin: You, uh, didn't do that did you?

snuffer said:
Just got my first rifle with a double set trigger, it's a Pedersoli Frontier. After fully cocking the hammer and pulling the set trigger, what is the proper way to un-cock the gun if I don't fire?

Also, my new rifle came with a dirty (blackened) bore, is this typical. I assumed that if Pedersoli proof fired it they would swab the bore?

Thanks for any help!

If the barrel is blued its BLUING on the inside of the bore. Bluing is RUST. Controlled rust but still rust. So the black to brown manure that comes out is a result of the final finish on the barrel since hot tank bluing is done without the bore being plugged.
Dan

Back