• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK you French gun experts!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can somebody comment on the lock that Track advertises as a French Type "C" lock? This is exactly what is on my Type "D" Fusil.

HistoryBuff

The answer is quite simple. The R.E.Davis Jaeger lock that TOW uses for both their Type C and Type D is incorrect and if you look on P.157 of their catalogue you will see this same basic lock plate described as a "Jaeger" lock with some difference in the external parts.The French used a round faced banana lock until about 1700 when they went to a flat faced lock These locks have a slight concave bottom line with a slight drop below the cock until about 1720 to the 1730's's when they began to be straighter across the bottom.There were some Tulle locks from the 1690's which are flat and have a little more banana like bottom,but this goes away about the mid 1720's. The so called Types C and D are Fusils fin de chasse and were generally brass mounted and have a fairly straight comb whereas the Fusils de chasse were generally iron mounted and had a pied de vache {cow's foot}butt. Both guns were hunting guns{de chasse} and the term fin means fine. Thus we have guns for hunting and fine guns for hunting.Tulle guns were bought by the King for distribution to the Milice,selected Indians,traders,and governmental personel. They were not trade guns per se. Trade guns were made by armories such as Saint Etienne,Maubege,Charleville,and Liege.I have three guns from about 1696 to 1730 which I believe were made in Liege and shipped over. The earliest is from about 1696 and has it's original round faced banana lock.I believe this gun was possibly an officer's fusil whereas the other two which were possibly Indian guns are missing their original locks. The lock mortices,however, show that they did not have a banana lock and I believe the locks were flat faced. All three are brass mounted with relief carving and damascening on the barrels and in the case of the earliest gun also on the lock plate.It is possible to get a so called Type C or D from TOW without a precut lock mortice and use a more correct lock with some sanitizing.R E Davis does offer a kit for a Fusil fin{not to be confused with their Type D kit}with a 48' barrel and it looks good.
Tom Patton

Back