• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Okay to leave charge for weeks on end?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunt rabbits in winter and leave my cva trapper charged until me and the dog connect . . . we hunt eves and weekends, if no rabbit I leave her charged and cold in the woodshed. Should I pull load weekly? Is un-fired powder corrosive in the breech end?

thanks

shotgunner

"nothing prettier than a fog of smoke floating over 2 feet of snow on a warm winter morning."

Thanks Rebel,

It's kinda hard to really see what the breech end of bore looks like with any kinda bore light or reflector . . .I thought it was okay but my inner elf thought of asking . . .

shotgunner :thumbsup:

I had a CVA Trapper for a while. I sold it and got a double barrel .12 ga. Navy Arms. I have left the double loaded for weeks at a time during bird season with no problems. I have even shot it one day, reloaded and shot it the next and so on for over a week before cleaning and there is not a sign of any rust in the bore. Not reccomending it, just stating my experience. A lot depends on how humid it is where you live. Where i lived before moving here, it was pretty dry. Don't think i would do that here in Western oregon, also known as the Land of Mists and Fog. ::

Thanks again Rebel,

Northwest Michigan and up to my eye brows in snow right now, best rabbits after a thaw.

I really like this cva trapper, light weight, never a dry fire

would like a double for trap shooting, although no problem hitting clays with the trapper, just one more re-load

I enjoy this so much more than my sxs cartridge guns!

shotgunner

Know what ya mean, i hardly ever use a cartridge gun any more except for my carry gun. I keep my old Mopssberg pump handy at home with the 18 1/2" barrel on it for home defense, and the SKS sits in the safe ready just in case, but for fun shooting and hunting, the BP guns are about all i use.

.357 4" highway patrolman is my home gun, or the ruger, or the mossberg . . .

but black powder has really gotten under my skin, my .50 t/c hawken will run rings around my win 30-30 with a patch and ball

although my .243 can take out any critters's lights at 200 yards, yet there isn't the satisfaction, BP is like archery

I have made several of my own longbows, hickory mostly - nothing like taking a whitetail with one.

I used to hunt with Knights, but sidelocks are now my passion.

shotgunner

Yep, black powder has a way of doing that to a person. Your other guns just sit and gather dust. I have used my double barrel Navy Arms more than any muzzleloader i have ever owned. I now have a N.W. Tradegun. It is a .62cal./.20ga smoothbore flintlock with a 39" barrel. I have only got to use it one time so far, but hope to get out and shoot it more soon. I found a guy that lives about 20 miles from me that has a kill permit for wild turkeys. He can take as many as he wants becasue they are doing damage to his crops. There are so many turkeys around here that they are a nuisence. He told ne i could come out and shoot all i want. I just need to get out and work up a shot load for the flinter and then i am heading his way to give it a try. Take care, and good shooting.

Rebel,

Is your trade gun one of those from NorthStarWest? What do you think of quality? I am considering one . . .

shotgunner

No it is a Track Of The Wolf. I had a North Star West Early English tradegun, and i had a bunch of problems with it. Others that have them say they love them, so i guess maybe i just got a lemon. You can get the Track kit for $527.99. It is supposed to be a fairly easy kit to build. I bought this one already put together. I did have to re-do a bunch of it because the guy that built it didn't know what he was doing, but it is ok now. Just need to get out and shoot it more.

Rebel,

20 gauge I assume, serpant side plate, etc?

Decent lock?

I am familiar with the Track but have never purchased from them . . .

shotgunner

Actually for some reason the guy didn't put the serpent side plate on it. He used a couple of brass washers. The serpent side plate may be added later. It has an R.E. Davis lock and it is a good sparker, and so far i have got over 60 shots out of one flint. Seems to be easy on them. Don't think you would be sorry with one of the Track kits.

Is un-fired powder corrosive in the breech end?

No, unfired powder is non-corrosive, don't believe me, just look down inside of a powder can when you empty one, how long was the unfired powder sitting it that???

Powder cans are not gun barrel steel, but you get the point, if it doesn't corrode lesser metals, your steel breech is safe...

Now, spent powder residue is another story...

Rebel seez......."There are so many turkeys around here that they are a nuisence. He told me i could come out and shoot all i want".

Old Russ seez...We need to talk!
As a matter of fact, guess what the topic of conversation is gonna be in about two weeks over dinner????

We definately need to discuss this terrible situation your friend has got himself into. We can help! Boy Scout Honor! We can do it! Hot doggetty! Old Russ and "Da Rebel" to the rescue!

Russ

Sounds like 'Ol Russ would be interested in some turkey retreads for his truck. :: From what i hear about the wild turkeys, they are so tough that if Goodyear could figure out how to use the leg meat for tires they would last forever. ::

Latest posts

Back