• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Bones & Powder Horns.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussB

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Last year I did a few Powder Horns and a lot of folks was interested in doing the same. I "think" it was either Stumpkiller or Musketman who turned me onto this "Old Bones" stuff. I don't know which one to blame.. :crackup: :crackup:

Anyway, a few people asked me how they turned out...Heck, I don't know how they turned out. They are still powder horns, a little different color maybe. Do they look old, or aged? Well, maybe.....

I just did another one, took some pictures, so you tell me...is old bones they way to go? I used to buff these things on a 16" wheel with "brown" rouge, at about 2400 rpm, and get pretty close to this.......

Hornbefore.jpg

Hornafter.jpg

Hornafterb.jpg

I'm not very good at describing colors, or much of anything for that matter, but I thought if you see it, you would know a lot more than me trying to explain it.

I hope Hank gets to see this.

I haven't "buffed" this one yet, don't know if I should.
Buffing can sometimes make 'em pretty thin, if you ain't real careful and apply a little too much pressure. I ain't never buffed a hole in one yet, but some have been awful thin.

Russ

Looks good. I've only got two originals (no idea how old, but old nonetheless). The "yellower" is just about the 3rd application color (according to my monitor). The whiter of mine is even whiter than your second pass. I'd stop there if it were me.

Where do you guys get your horn to make your powder horns?
What do you charge to make one?

Russ, good looking horns! One of our guys collects real antique horns, and your colors look right to me, based on what he has shown me...Hank

Where do you guys get your horn to make your powder horns?
What do you charge to make one?

Maineguide....I can't say for sure where the "best place" is to get horns. I think all of mine that are "made from scratch", have been given to me by someone wanting me to do one for them.
The "mate" to that white horn in the picture, was darn near perfect in form and texture, and I buffed it out to a very nice glossy white.
The one I kept was headed for the trash can since it had a "darker" ring around it. I hung on to it and you can see what I turned it into.
I don't charge for putting them together, I just charge for what the parts cost, if I have to order them, some times folks just bring all the fittings and "we" put them together.

BTW: I have seen Powder Horns sell at gun shows for $150.00....I guess there must be a lot about Powder Horns that I don't understand.

Ya, know...I think Hank may have a very good question. Why would our forefathers even wanted a horn that looked two hundred years old?

You fellers are the subject matter experts, I just try to play the game.

Russ

RussB,
they look great!!! nice pics also.
thanks for sharing.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

BTW: I have seen Powder Horns sell at gun shows for $150.00....I guess there must be a lot about Powder Horns that I don't understand.

I've seen $25 to $1,000 for modern horns! You find a dated original F&I War or Rev. War horn and you're talking $10,000 to $15,000!!!

I used to paw through the "horn box" at a local Tandy Leather and occasionally find good horns. Maybe one out of a dozen would be (IMHO) worth making a horn out of. I've seen some raw horns, and even semi-finished "kit" horns sold by various m/l supply houses that are pieces of . . . shirt. The tail. Squatty, or 90% dark.

I just opted to have one of out members here make me a horn (getting lazy) but if I was making one I would purchase the raw horn either in person or from a supplier that let me specify the size and color of what I wanted.

I've seen $25 to $1,000 for modern horns! You find a dated original F&I War or Rev. War horn and you're talking $10,000 to $15,000!!!

No doubt. There is also no doubt that a "dated original" is well worth every penny to many private collectors, and museums. That particular $150.00 horn I was refering to had been made in my own shop, by my own hands, 2 or 3 years prior, and had about $12.00 in fixtures. And, I'm quite sure there was never a charge for putting one together, or helping someone else.

I recognized it as soon as I saw it. If the price had been $50.00 or there abouts, I would have never thought about it...it was a good solid horn. But, it was not worth the $150.00
(I must admit that I did not know the fellow selling it, and he insisted he was just trying to get his money back, as it had been priced even higher, according to the price tag.)

I guess the purpose in my response is to let people know that there is no big mystery to Powder Horns, and ask they be careful when shopping for one. It is easy, very easy, to pay way too much for anything when we want it, or need it.
Just be cautious at Gun Shows. They are not the same place of business they were 20 years ago.

Russ

Point well taken.

I have a yard full of maple seeds every fall. The fanciest carved maple gunstock in the world is just one of those and some time and labor. :haha: Don't undervalue your time and talent. It's unfortunate someone else collected on your ticket. You can be proud that your work is selling for more than you think it should within your own lifetime.

Back in the "good olde days" the horn was just a container, like the plastic tub we get margarine in now, or the reuseable glass bottles milk used to come in (Damn! I am getting old! I remember milkmen!). If you didn't bring your own in the sutler would put small purchases of powder in a simple horn and charge a few cents extra. If you were feeling zesty you went to a hornsmith and got a gussied up one. Otherwise, you used a plain one or added some decoration as you enjoyed your after-supper pipe.

And with this mob it's not a bad idea to put yer mark on yer horn to keep it from crawling off when yer visitin the necessity. :winking:

Like a lot of m/l'ers I started out off the shelf, the started to make my gear. Now, I've begun to assemble the work of friends and acquaintances, many off this list. There's certainly a satisfaction in making things for yourself, everyone should try because you never know when a skill will be needed in an emergency (like on a huning trip or the night before a hunt :shocking:). There is also a satisfaction in owning something nice (nicer than I can make, anyway) that reminds me of pleasant people and places.

My horn done yet, Griz? :crackup:

Yikes, I've got an original horn that goes to an original rifle we have...it even has the antler-tip measure that goes with it. (but the stopper is gone, as is the strap)

It's very plain, as is the rifle...rifle has quite a documented history to it too...missed going with the Donner party by two weeks!

Which is good, as someone probably would have boiled and et the horn!!

Rat

Hi boys, I'm new at the forum. Tried old bones once. left a horn in the solution for a week, by mistake, and it didn't change much at all. I've carried some of my horns for 30yrs. They haven't turned orange yet Don't think I can hold out for 250yrs though. Keep your powder dry!

Hey, Fellas! Where do you get that "OLD BONES" stuff anyways? I have a white horn to build, and I like that stuff!
Thanks,
Bryan :RO:

Hi maineguide .I could not find a supply of horns here either.Then one of the guys i shoot with took me to what i would call a witch-craft-vodoo shop. [I live on the florida coast near the islands] And people think we look funny in our GARB? To be honest thy had about eight to ten horns. :crackup:

Maine Guide and Shaggy Shooter, October Country is the only source of horns that I look to...I get horn elsewhere once in a while, but it's a hit or miss thing, so I rely on Oct Country. I just started on one of their "raw" horns..I got 5 for about $30 including shipping....at this stage, I kinda wish I'd bought an already polished one..the extra $7 or so seems a small price to save the couple of hours of work....Hank

Hey Hank. thanks for the info on the horns .Im new at this ,so i was in a hurry.It was also cheaper than mail order.$5.oo. ALSO,IM A NEWBIE.WHEN YOU FOLKS BRING UP COMPANY,S NAMES,PLEASE GIVE WEB SIGHTS,THANKS :thumbsup:

Hey Deerstalker check with the Log Cabin shop and Track of the Wolf for the old bones I am going to try this on a horn Iam working on right now

Latest posts

Back