• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Bones & Powder Horns.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I do not have a current Dixie Gun Works catalog (shame on me), I know they sold Old Bones. Always meant to buy a bottle.

Patriot

Hey, Fellas! Where do you get that "OLD BONES" stuff anyways? I have a white horn to build, and I like that stuff!
Thanks,
Bryan :RO:

Hi Bryan.

Iff'n ya never done one before, ya might want to take a look at this link, just to give ya a starting place.
http://www.nmroyalrangers.org/FCF/making_a_powder_horn.htm

Log Cabin has Old Bones...P/N:60100, listed at $4.60 per 4oz bottle. There has been a small price increase, I think.
Check 'em out http://www.logcabinshop.com/

You said you've got a white horn. I think a white horn, buffed white, with red rouge, and hi-lited at the tip, is possibly the nicest looking horn ya can have. :)

But that is just my thoughts, it is your horn, you make it the way "you want it to look" and don't worry about what others think. :redthumb: If it pleases you, it most certainly pleases me, I like 'em all.

Russ

Got in on this thread a little late...but just wanted anyone that was interested to know that I just got a horn from October Country. I asked for a certain size, twist, tip color with enough white to do some scrimshaw on. A few days later that's exactly what showed up on my doorstep. Can't do better than that, I reckon. Bearman

Thanks a bunch, Russ. Your help was exactly what I need! I'll be needing more help soon, just picked up a bunch of parts today for a Southern Rifle. Man, I do love that L&R Durs Egg lock!!!!
Bryan :RO:

I went to a meat cutting place in town, they slaughter their own beef, and asked if they had horns. The guy pointed to a cow head on the floor. Had beautiful horns. He sawed one off for me, $10, I boiled out the core. Beautiful horn! If you find a slaughter house, you might ask them to save you some good horns.

That depends on the area you live in, I asked a friend that owns a butcher shop and he said that he would get in major trouble for keeping horns and some other parts around. They have to be dissposed of right away due to high bacteria content. :results:

I went to a meat cutting place in town, they slaughter their own beef, and asked if they had horns. The guy pointed to a cow head on the floor. Had beautiful horns. He sawed one off for me, $10, I boiled out the core. Beautiful horn! If you find a slaughter house, you might ask them to save you some good horns.

A neighbor, on the way to town, has a cow that hangs out close to the road. I don't know what kind she is, but she looks like the box a Gateway Computer comes in, and she has a "fantastic" set of horns....Mmmmm :hmm: I wonder......

Russ

If you search the web for buffalo meat, you'll find that most of the places that sell meat also sell bison horns. I haven't tried to make one yet, but I've seen a couple and they're very handsome- they're very dark brown to black. If memory serves, they sell for about $10-$15.
I've bought & sold some old horns at 'vous & flea markets and there doesn't seem to be a good market for them. $30-$35 for an old horn- age indeterminate but not of recent make. I got into this whole thing when I accidently bought a small horn and a Manhatten Firearms bullet mold at an auction in southern Illinois. I bought a box of files for $8.00 and they were in the bottom. :: It's been downhill ever since.
Bill :thumbsup:

Keep out of that fine dust when you make a horn....it's more addictive than Black Powder smoke. Once you get a sniff you will be hooked. I've been making horns for @ 9 years now....Hey, maybe that's what's wrong with me :thumbsup: been in the dust toooooo long

You shouldn't be breathing in the dust from antlers and horns. Not good for the lungs. You should be wearing a face mask to keep the dust out.

you're probably right...but you know how us dumb ole mountain folk are.

Old bones is nothing more than a weak solution of Potassium Chloride. Buy some from a chemical supply house and make up your own at whatever strength. I used to make a stronger solution for the spout and a weaker solution for the body of the horn.

BTW, I have a bunch of very good raw (unfinished and partially finished)horns I am selling as I no longer make horns if anyone is interested message me.

And by all means, wear a mask when sanding horns or you'll wind up with the mother of all sinus infections.

Jeezly crow!! I meant Potassium Permanganate, not postassium chloride. You can buy it from most chemical supply stores in granulated form. Poison if ingested.

Sorry for the error. :sorry:

I agree with Stumpy...it's not always the raw material you count the cost of. I've been making them for about 3 years for friends and family. I've never sold one, but I do put many, many hours into a horn. I can absolutley see where an artisan ( not me) can command a lot of money for time spent. Not much different than a rifle maker or a knife maker.

Back