• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old bottle- What to do?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
My brother in law gave this to me, the Question is, What the heck could i use it for? Help me out with some ideas.
Picture-1.jpg

Well, you could send it to me! I got a few old bottles in the china cabinet. It would look mighty fine setting next to them. :grin:

Bottles were made that color to keep Ultra Violet light from changing the contents- particularly BEER! With that in mind, you might store some liquid compounds, like Moose Snot, in that bottle. Just label it, Please!, so someone doesn't do a " taste test!"

Fill it with whiskey and carry in your hunting pouch for when you need a little pick-me-up.
:haha:
I like Swamp Rat's idea.
How exactly do you squeeze oil from a bear?
:hmm:

HD

Swamp Rat said:
You need to find a willing bear....squeeze it good and fill that bottle up with bear oil. :thumbsup:

Oh...you said bear not, bare. whew...I should have put on my glasses first.

Huntin Dawg said:
Fill it with whiskey and carry in your hunting pouch for when you need a little pick-me-up.
:haha:
I like Swamp Rat's idea.
How exactly do you squeeze oil from a bear?
:hmm:

HD

:haha: Verrry careful.

Depending on how big the bottle is: some kind of spirits, cooking oil, soap, gun cleaning/lube liquid, etc.

Bottle is only 4 1/2" tall, great for a little grandpas cough medicine but i dont drink. If i can take an elk this year i'll get the fat off it and bottle it!

Might want to think about Marmot oil too. I know Gman renders it for a shooting lube he makes. It would be similar to bear oil.

How do you go about melting elk/deer fat to use as patch lube? If i get an elk i want to turn it into liquid and then fill up this bottle, along with a big bottle i have. Great for storage i think.

I don't know what Elk fat is like, is it hard like deer? The deer fat I found the best/fastest way is to put through a coarse grind first then into a kettle of water at slow boil. It renders faster after the grind and should be ready to cool down and solidify in 3 or 4 hours. If you just chuck the fat it can take all day.

Bear fat I cut into small pieces and into a coffee can, placed into a kettle of water thats not quite at boiling and just let it do it's thing.

Latest posts

Back