• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old cast iron forge... what do I need to look for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK... so I've had an interest in historical things for awhile now and have always been interestd in learning blacksmithing.
So today as I was looking around at local antique and "junk" places for a "trade" looking knife, I found an old cast iron forge with a hand-crank blower.
What's a fair price on something like this and what do I need to know before buying?

I admit that this is probably a bad idea... but I'm still really tempted.

Depends on who made the parts. If the blower turns freely, the crank handle has some free-fall when let go and it blows good air, run back there if it's under $150. Unless it's trashed, a blower will push $100 easy on ebay or anywhere else. If the pan is good and the air flow tube (tuyere) is fitting, go for it. If all work well and are in great shape, $300 or so wouldnt be out of line.
Find some blacksmith coal and light 'er up!

What Zampilot says is pretty well right on dont be afriad to make a lower offer either they may jump on it

Thanks. I talked to my old papa and he advised me to check it out again and make sure it blows air through the tube.
I didn't see any markings on it but I admit I wouldn't have known what I was looking for anyhow. Wish I had thought to look...
But I did turn the crank and it turned free and kept moving after I gave it a spin - I was a little surprised by how freely it turned actually.
I might have to go back with money in hand... I really shouldn't right now, but this may be one of those situations where you see the thing, then you never see one again, then you realize you should have bought the one you found.

When I started to get into forging I looked for over three years before I found a decent forge blower. Then I had three in less than a week!Get a good one while you can. As for what to look for in a cast iron forge the main thing is cracks! :hmm:

you may want to google anvilfire. it's a blacksmith website, I think they have a link on shopping for older forges. if its a centaur it, it might be a good buy

I googled Centaur and it doesn't look like their stuff. The blower is of a different style and the "pan" is round, not square.
And I figured cracks are going to be the big thing to look for. Is there anything I can do to identify them other than just looking every closely?
I'm planning to go back and look at it again tomorrow and maybe buy it, but at least get more info if I don't.

If the pan is round and there is no fire pot,which a separate cast pot shaped piece into which the air enters from the bottom and which is below the floor of the pan,, this is probably a rivet forge.These are handy for travelling to demonstrations because they are fairly light but not ideal because the fire cannot get very deep unless you use fire bricks to bank the fire. For a beginner,you wont know what you are missing and you can do many things but you will probably want a more permanent forge as you become more addicted.
In the last year or two, I bought 2 rivet forges with blowers in good shape for $100 and $150 respectively. I find them because I dont need them and have several others??
Bob

Yeah, that does sound like it. I'm on the fence about this. I think I could get it for a hundred bucks, but I'd still need tools to make anything with it and I can't really afford them right now. And that's a hundred more bucks out of the smoothbore fowler fund... :idunno:

So I checked it out again today. I was going to buy it but the truck was acting up - pretty sure it's spark plugs but until I change them to be sure, I can't blow money on a forge.
Anyhow, the blower is marked "Champion Forge and Blower Co." on the side with the crank. It does forcefully blow air when the crank is turned and the fan continues to turn for a few seconds after you stop cranking, so it seems to be in working order to me. It blows into a sort of a coffee-can shaped chamber on the bottom of the forge.
The forge is cast iron with four places to attach legs, which are attached by carriage bolts. Air is forced up through a hole in the center of the bottom. Someone put some thin steel on the back, it looks like to maybe act as a heat shield. It's been there for awhile judging from the condition of the metal under it. I think there are three holes in the back of the forge for attachment - not sure if they're original or not. There aren't any cracks in it, just some shallow marks in the casting here and there. My best guess is that it's about 3.5 inches deep and maybe 18 inches in diameter. It's shaped like a cast iron skillet minus the handle.

What you have is a bargin that won't be found often. Only you know your finacial situation, but I would go for it because you could look for several years to find another in good shape.

ohio ramrod said:
What you have is a bargin that won't be found often. Only you know your finacial situation, but I would go for it because you could look for several years to find another in good shape.

Don't I know it!
I wasn't even looking for this... just hanging out in an antique store and one of the proprietors asked if I'd found anything. So I told him no, that I had enjoyed looking but that I was really only looking for old kitchen knives, especially Case XX ones. He replied that he didn't have any, but that I should check with his friend, gave me directions and a "Your friend sent me" reference, and next thing you know I'm trying to figure out what I need to know about an old forge!

I paid $100 for one like 5 yrs ago its functionable but I will be doing some weld repairs at some point and i have another i picked up last year its work also but is in need of new babit bearings poured blower is a bit noisey unless u oil it often its a hand crank model with a belt drive blower. So your looking at a good unit the way it sounds if you can get it for a decent price 100-150.00 and you can swing it get it

So I went and checked it out again today. I don't know about the intelligence of buying it, but I decided to go ahead and buy.
The seller watched me count out the money, then only charged me $90. I think he appreciated my and my brother's interest in history and that I want to put it back to work eventually and that's why he knocked some off the price.
I'll be checking back in with him periodically as I look for more tools. I hope to have this thing fired and be making something simple by the end of summer!

Sounds as if you did well I have some info for you will be sending you a pm

I'll be watching for your PM. Now I have to start hitting up auctions, flea markets, and more antique stores to find the rest of the stuff I need.
I figured at the price, if I look at it as an investment over the course of this year, it actually only works out to 8 bucks a month...

I'm hoping to be able to do some simple stuff like maybe plant hangers, hot dog roasters, and some strikers or something to help pay for the investment in the tools I'll need. After I learn what I'm doing, I'll never have to buy another knife or striker again!

Yep, Lets see, After someone sold me an old Buffaloe riveters forge, I hadda find me a anvil, a vise, course I couldn't be happy with less than 10 hammers, IT WAS fun makin my own tongs, forge shovel & hardies. WARNING- Can be as addictive as shootin BP. To knives and strikers add fire irons & S hooks, vent picks, folding lead ladels. Lots a good trade / prize blanket items. HAVE A BLAST
Jon D

Back