• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old cast iron forge... what do I need to look for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check out ebay. there are 2 on there right now going for under $75.00. local pick up only. they look perty nice.

Thanks. I looked at some anvils but unless they're about ten bucks and located within twenty miles, they might as well be in indonesia. That's an expenditure that will have to wait for a bit. which is OK... I start working again probably at the end of this coming week and its summer, so there are going to be lots of flea markets, auctions, yard sales, and antique stores to explore. And classified ads. I'll find something.

BTW - I would do pics but I'm so technologically backwards I have to coerce my brother into taking them for me. Then there's the uploading, over a dial-up connection, which takes forever and fails frequently... :barf:

you could go onto the ABANA website where you can learn to makeyour tools as well as improvise railroad track for anvils.they have tutorials as well. make the sparks fly

Goon, I found virtually everything at Flea Markets, that was a long time ago but you should still be able to find Ball Peen & Cross peen hammers, cold chisles and punches for just a few $$$. The anvil may be the kicker. I just lucked into mine, and I can't say it's a real good one, but it works. The short piece of rail would be great if you can find it. Some large vices have a small anvil sort of built in on the back side for small projects.
Jon D

streetsniper said:
you could go onto the ABANA website where you can learn to makeyour tools as well as improvise railroad track for anvils.they have tutorials as well. make the sparks fly

I do have access to a section of railroad rail that's been around for years. I also have access to an old long section of railroad rail but unfortunately, half of it is buried and the other half is attached. And I have no way to cut it.
The problem I see with rail is that it's kind of concave on top - not sure how to get around that although I'm sure it could be done.

I'm hoping to stumble on to an anvil by the end of summer though. The people I ask say they don't see many of them, but they're also not actively looking for them... :wink:

I'm actually a little excited at the prospect of that this means for me. I am always looking at knives and hawks and wishing I could afford them. Now I won't have to. One of my first projects after I tool up is probably going to be a small axe. I also know where there is this old high carbon meat cleaver that's going to get cut down into a belt knife...

Latest posts

Back