• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old eyes syndrome

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Brooks

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This season I almost quit muzzle loading. I have been having trouble seeing the front and back sights lately, 62 year old eyes were not working well, and it came to a head a few days ago. I missed a very nice buck, when I pulled down on him the buck, front sight, and rear sight just melded together. I tried focusing on the front sight but no luck. The buck was dark enough it almost matched the color of my rear sight and I couldn't get a good bead on it. I should NOT of shot but a buck broadside in a clearing is not a common event and I let the excitement get the better of me. Yes I did look and look and look for the buck just in case he was hit.
Feeling out of sorts I decided to adjust the sights by filing down the front sight. It raised the point of impact to 5 inches above sight level at 50 yards, and I had to use a strong 6 o'clock shooting picture. Well yesterday I jumped a herd of does, and one stayed behind to check me out. I pulled down on the deer and was able to see the deer sitting on top of my sights, and by sheer luck they lined up to make a high lung shot. I would prefer a buck hanging in the woodshed but am happy overall, and hope this advice may help some other old geezer.

At 52 I have glasses to see far away, and this past month or so I've had trouble seeing past 50 yards to get a good sight picture because my sights do the same thing,(just blend together) I'm going to have to go see the eye doc. and get a new script. Anybody have a couple of hundred bucks? last pair I got 3 or 4 years ago were over $150.00 :td: .

In my 60's I've been lucky that my eyes remain balanced and have been able to just use drugstore reading glasses for several years now...every couple years bumping up the diopter strength.
When I began to have front sight / rear sight issues I experimented with a larger size of drugstore reading glasses at only the 1.0 diopter strength and that helped a lot without distorting normal vision in the woods.
Two years ago I bumped up to 1.25 diopter and sights are almost perfect with normal vision in the woods. 1.50's make the sights razor sharp at the range but too strong for general vision looking off through the woods...but I suspect they'll be fine in another year or so, LOL.

Counting cataracts, I have problem seeing sights and everything else. I get by but know surgery is the only upside of this dilemma.

Installing a peep sight with an adjustable aperture will probably solve your problem.
There is also an adjustable peep that attaches to shooting glasses with a small suction cup. It is called a Merit Optical Device. It is very cost-effective if you shoot more than one weapon with open sights.

I have heard of the diopter that attaches to glasses, thinking of it seriously. I've also tried 1.25 reading glasses but kept tripping over branches and rocks that became fuzzy once I had the glasses on. Getting old just isn't for the weak hearted.

Patocazador said:
There is also an adjustable peep that attaches to shooting glasses with a small suction cup. It is called a Merit Optical Device.

I can see this device working on the shooting range, or if there happens to be adequate light in the woods, but how does it work in low light of dusk or dawn or just deep woods? I would think the tiny hole would restrict light inputs in those conditions.

I did recently get a flavor for how that tiny hole will help one focus. I had lasik 13 years ago and it's been wonderful, but recently had a condition develop where cells were not shedding off my cornea and built up changing my eyesight some. A simple laser procedure fixed it, but as the cornea healed, I had numerous and frequent eye-sight tests. They would have me view the letters on the wall "normally" and then also through a very small hole. It was surprising to me how much clearer things were when forced to look through the small hole.

Fortunately, back to 20/20 now with no corrective lenses. Rear sight is a tad fuzzy, but front sight and target are crystal clear.

Mr Brooks..
Use to think 62 was old!
:shocked2: ..Now that I'm 56 ..
62 does not sound bad at all..HaHa!

Find an eye doc that will work with you..
Bring in your rifle and work out the details....
There has to be a shooting eye doctor in your state somewhere.

Thats better than sitting on the couch and looking out the window.
Congrats on the doe........don't give up!

Heck, for that matter, if it's approaching the condition where hunting would have to be given up, mount one of those shotgun 'Red Dot' optics or something...and anybody that takes issue with that can go...well, you know

Luckily, being young, my eyes are still good. However, I have thought about adding some high visibilty white paint to my front sight. It would seem that this would make the front sight a little easier to see in low light conditions. Perhaps this could help you a little bit? To me, any advantage, no matter how small, could be worth trying.

On another note, a friend of mine in his 80's recently added a scope to his sidelock rifle. I realize this is not HC but at least it has extended his time in the great outdoors. When and if the time comes that my eyesight fades, I would rather add a scope to my gun as opposed to hanging it up and not being able to hunt anymore. Again, there may be other options such as a peep sight. Good luck! I hope you can keep at it.

Jeff

The fiber optic sights help in low light. The green often better than the red. I started using them on open sight handguns for hunting several years back. Then shotguns and rifles. A drop of florescent paint on existing sights works better than just bare metal. There are a multitude of sight options for us as we get older. They may not be traditional but they allow you to continue being able to shoot, hunt and enjoy the sport.

I'm 51 and a couple of years ago my eye doctor gave me some multifocal contacts. I can see like I could in my 20's, both sights and deer. I don't know if it is an option for you but helped me greatly.

$150. for a pair of glasses "is" the problem. I worked 33 years as a machinist, and the plant closed. A big company was getting into the eye glass business, and I got hired. I became an optical inspector, and learned a lot about glasses. Bottom line, buy the best polycarbonate, progressive lens, with anti-reflective coating, that you can afford. Spend less on frames, and ask about the lens quality. And as someone suggested, find someone who understands a shooters needs. Quality lenses, are worth it. Your will get a harder coating, a wider channel, and the anti-reflective coating, will help in changing light. Do not get transitions for hunting. Avoid big chain, discount stores. Get a real Doctor.

Patocazador said:
Installing a peep sight with an adjustable aperture will probably solve your problem.
There is also an adjustable peep that attaches to shooting glasses with a small suction cup. It is called a Merit Optical Device. It is very cost-effective if you shoot more than one weapon with open sights.

For the first time since 1970 I have not prepared for the current ml deer season nor am I going. :( I had cataract surger about two months ago. It went well but I am still waiting for my new glasses. I can't sight worth squat right now.
I have one of the Merit discs for glasses. Not a practical items for hunting. The tiny suction cup sometimes fails and losing a $60.00 thing in the woods is not desirable. Second, they do work great on the range but not hunting. On the range you are able to hold your rifle, head and body the same way for every shot. In the woods conditions dictate your body position and hold. The Merit thingy just doesn't work under those circumstances.
For me, peep sights for hunting just don't work. Some like them. The Lyman company was built with it's success selling a hunting rifle peeper. Might float yer stick, but not mine.

I have 20-15 vision after cataract surgery. I am 70 years old and have no accommodation in my vision so I must use something to see open sights that doesn't interfere with my normal good vision at distance. I have killed 4 deer using the Merit device on the left lens of a pair of shooting glasses when hunting with a pistol. It has not gotten in the way nor fallen off. If yours does, get a new suction cup. It swings down when you get ready to shoot and if you can't use one, don't.

Moving the rear sight further down the barrel might help as well. Putting a dab of white correction fluid on the front sight should help some too. You might want to look into the ghost ring type of sight; it's like a big peep but much faster to use. Proper fitting lenses from an eye doctor exam is good advice that will serve you well in all areas not just shooting and hunting.

I've got a fiber optic sight on front and assembling parts for a peep during my breaks at work. 5/16 body and 1/8 hole. Held the peep to my rifle and was quick to point at targets around the back yard. Heck with PC I'm going hunting!

Latest posts

Back