• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoglaig141

32 Cal.
Reaction score
fellas got an old wall hanger was told it was shootable,after recieving it found that it has brass frizin.not tried to shoot,but my thinkin its not a shooter any input?

Brass lockplate..maybe but frizzen?....No.

If it indeed does have a brass frizzen, it is a most likely a display piece. As in not a real gun, kind of like those pot metal pirate pistols.

Stranger things have happened, now it might just be possible that the frizzen was cat in brass and "soled" in steel. This is not likely but possible.

We need pics...

thanks for the input 54 I havn't got pic of it but will see if I can send one. the barrel looks real.starts out octigan and rounds off at the end and has only two bands wood seems lightweight I think ur right it's probaly wall hanger

Your profile is not complete.

Where are you located? There are people from all over the world on this board and I am sure there is someone qualified to pass judgement on your gun.

J.D.

I'm a tenn. boy.i found on barrel ELG in circle over star. and number 138..closer look and I see that 54 was right the plate is brass but the frizin is steel. the hammer plate assy is seperate from the frizin plate.

The ELG proof mark indicates that the barrel was manufactured in Liege, Belgium sometime since 1810.

Without having it examined it is questionable if is safe or not and it never may be determined. They did good and not so good work....and who knows what it's been through.

Orginial brass lockplates are rare. I don't know what you are talking about when you say hammer plate and frizzen plate.

Instead of guessing here is a link to L&R lock company that shows a diagram of a lock with all of the parts labeled that should help you:

http://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89:parts-diagram&catid=41:information&Itemid=68

Look it over and figure out which parts we're talkin' about.

Anybody know an expert from Tennessee to help this guy?

J.D.

thanks J.D. I will look at ur link.what I was trying to say the lock plate is two piece,half under the hammer is steel other half under the frizin and main spring is brass.thanks for the info on the Barrel markings. I don't think I will shoot it compared to the pedersoli Frontier 54 cal. It's a toy. I am knew to flinters and need all the learnin I can get .

Sounds like a musket lock with a brass pan. Not all that uncommon.

:hmm: I hope you can post some pictures or e-mail 'em to one of these picture savy guys who can do it for you.

Glad I could help, J.D.

I'm sure when you said "Its a toy" you were saying it tongue in cheek so I'm sure you will agree it really is not a toy.

That said, if the gun has a ramrod or you have a wooden dowel that will fit into the barrel and is longer than the barrel it would be a good idea for you to find out if your gun is loaded.

You'd be surprised at the number of old muzzleloaders that are and black powder does not deteriorate with age.

If you haven't already done this, run the ramrod or a dowel down the barrel until it stops.
Wrap a piece of tape around the ramrod or dowel so it is flush with the muzzle of the barrel.

Remove the ramrod and lay it along side the barrel, lining up the tape with the muzzle.

If the end that had been stuck down the barrel is even with or below the touch hole in the side of the barrel, the gun is unloaded.

If the end doesn't reach clear down to the touch hole you can guess that the gun is still loaded.
---------------

A picture or two showing the lock area and the entire gun would help greatly in identifying it.

Follow this link and watch the video to learn how to post pictures on this site.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/255033/

I'm moving this topic to the area where we discuss old original guns.
I'm sure that after our members see what you have they can tell you a great deal about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some later Belgian trade muskets were made with left over parts from obsolete firearms parts. I have seen many "African" flint lock muskets from Belgium with two-piece lock plates. Apparently the gun makers used a lock and internals from a percussion musket, a flintlock cock, and fabricated a frizzen plate, often of brass.

trademusket.jpg

thank you,that is just like the lock assy on the olb rifle,I did check for clear barrel as soon as I picked it up. You are right many freinds leave there percuson rifles loaded from one year to another. Not me though.by toy I meant trigger guard thin and butt plate thin.

:thumbsup: Hey took it apart, found ELG over star in circle. also found S with star over it. and the 138 is 13.8 I asume cal.figured out that ELG means BELGEM proof but what about the S with star over it.

:thumbsup: Hey took it apart, found ELG over star in circle. also found S with star over it. and the 138 is 13.8 I asume cal.figured out that ELG means BELGEM proof but what about the S with star over it.

Latest posts

Back