• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Girl revisited

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLD090646

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I haven't built any guns in many years. These pictures are of one I built for myself in the 1970's. I pulled her out of the safe recently and thought I'd post a couple pictures. She's a swamped barreled 50 caliber. The inlays, patchbox, side plate etc, etc. are all my own design and my own engraving.

Cheek piece detail.JPG
Side plate detail.JPG
Toe plate.JPG
Patch box.JPG

I haven't built any guns in many years. These pictures are of one I built for myself in the 1970's. I pulled her out of the safe recently and thought I'd post a couple pictures. She's a swamped barreled 50 caliber. The inlays, patchbox, side plate etc, etc. are all my own design and my own engraving.
You are glutton for punishment on those beautiful open wood inlays! Very fine work indeed! Thanks for sharing a gorgeous creation.
Larry

"Very nice! Why did you quit making rifles?"

I guess LIFE caught up with me. I was single when I made this rifle. shortly after I got married and bought a house. I did make a few rifles after that, but I haven't done anything in many years. Now days my eyes aren't as good as they once were. I can still do wood working projects but engraving and detailed work like you see on this rifle are a thing of the past, I'm afraid.

The talent you have is at the level of a master builder! If you had continued...WOW! That rifle is exquisitely beautiful and a true heirloom. Museum quality work, my friend.

View attachment 129432View attachment 129430View attachment 129431View attachment 129429
awesome awesome awesome. If it gets tired of being in your safe, send it to me and it can rest in mine! A true art piece. Thanks for posting.

Some extremely fine craftsmanship!! The patchbox is as nice as I've seen on original PA rifles and the toe plate reminded me of detail work I saw in an english museum. ENCORE!

I am sitting here saying “Wow” at the photos of this beautiful rifle you built. And wondering why it’s been locked away in a safe all these years. Unless there was some safety issues, that rifle is something to be proudly displayed. Thanks for sharing it here!

Back