• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old powder brands/cans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many of you have powder or the cans from years ago? Unboxing stuff from storage I came across 3 of my older powder cans (all before barcodes on the can).

I just noticed that the “Superfine” brand was marketed as Gearhart Owens powder as well as Goex. The FFG Cavan on the left is the Gearhart and the FFg can is Goex. These were bought in the 1970’s in Baton Rouge.

The Hodgdon can (see price tag on top) was bought at Steinbergs in Baton Rouge in the sixties. As a high schooler that $2.85 felt expensive. I would love to see or hear about your different cans.

Attachments

• IMG_2157.jpeg
    IMG_2157.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2158.jpeg
    IMG_2158.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I don’t collect old powder cans, but I do have some older cans of powder. I wouldn’t say I’m actively shooting that old powder up, but rather save it for when I want compare old loads and powder to current production.

Probably should have kept a few of those old powder cans when they were empty, but it’s not like I’m going to run out of old stuff.

Seriously doubt the newer plastic containers will hold up over the years. Recently had a gallon container of metal prep (acid) spontaneously fail while sitting under a work bench in the basement, a very mild environment. Maybe 65° to 75° temperature swing annually. Unbelievable how the free range acid ‘etched’ the concrete floor. Luckily caught it ‘early’.
1715919342049.jpeg

Back to old powder cans. I lined up a couple of containers of various vintages and took a group photo for a previous thread. It is interesting to see an original price tag. $2.10 for a pound of powder....

mK45wBO.jpg

JAS64Wg.jpg

Check out the Auction at Redding Auction Service. In the auction they are having in mid July there are 400 old cans and kegs from one collector up for auction. Should be interesting to see what they go for.

This is one of those 'if only" subjects. The very first bp I ever bought was a 5 lb round cardboard canister. Forget brand but it was, even then, very inexpensive. I bought it at E. Christopher Firearms in Miamitown, Ohio.

I have a mostly full pound of DuPont circa 1930 from one of my uncles, and a couple commemorative Mountain State Muzzleloading GOEX cans from the late 70's. Still using the 4f in one of them. No pics as we are a thousand miles apart.

Latest posts

Back